Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yes, waiting for the dm-loop kernel modules to be compiled for Fremantle; this should improve I/O speed to the image file quite a bit.
According to my tests, loop is a bit faster than dm-loop (and both are very close to raw hardware speed), though I don't see anything in the change logs between 2.6.21 and 2.6.28.

Anyway, the modules are here:
http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n900

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
According to my tests, loop is a bit faster than dm-loop (and both are very close to raw hardware speed)
Honestly, that is shocking to me... I was looking forward to a speed boost with dm-loop that we apparently aren't going to get.

Thanks anyway, Matan.

I guess I will focus on the new image file.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
I didnt want to start a new thread or try to get off course, but would it be possible to use Android in the same type of way you have Debian setup to run within Maemo/Fremantle? A detailed answer would be nice, but I'll understand if its not.

Thanks

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
bdogg64: I honestly don't know. Theoretically, it is possible, if someone found a compatible rootfs (perhaps NITDroid? Any other ARM Android tarballs floating around?). It certainly would be interesting. I wish that Ubuntu guy who was working on Dalvik would put his work into the Ubuntu repositories, so we could get it for our devices, too...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
A speed tip: change your mounting dir from /debian to /.debian so tracker, the Maemo media indexer, stays out of your chroot.

I'm changing this in the next version, but until then you can do it yourself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Originally Posted by qole View Post
bdogg64: I honestly don't know. Theoretically, it is possible, if someone found a compatible rootfs (perhaps NITDroid? Any other ARM Android tarballs floating around?). It certainly would be interesting. I wish that Ubuntu guy who was working on Dalvik would put his work into the Ubuntu repositories, so we could get it for our devices, too...
I know how to build an ARM Android tarball, I'm just don't know how to pull much of the rest of the pieces together. Thanks for the response. Keep up the good work!

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Thanks to a post in the Diablo thread, I was reminded to map the LXDE "window move" function on the N900. I have settled on the Ctrl-. (Ctrl and period) combination. Any objections?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
More tips:

- enable blue keys on N900 keyboard in LXDE: copy /usr/share/X11/xkb directory to your chroot

- speed up OpenOffice: kill help agent, turn off Java, stop autocompletion of words.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
What is the best way to resize the easy-debian filesystem? I have an 8GB ext2 microsd and can't figure out how to expand it with your rootfs.

techdork: I recently answered your question in the Easy Debian Diablo thread, in this post.

EDIT: Note that I have also uploaded a rootfs file at qole.org/files as well: debian-squeeze-m5-rootfs.tar.gz

Last edited by qole; 2009-12-19 at 09:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze