Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Yes, having MMS on a feature phone is important, but the N900 isn't a feature phone with limited resources. . We prioritized our resources to have brilliant multitasking of the frequent use cases. You can share photos easily to the Internet or by email. Implementing MMS would have meant dragging the ancient WAP 1.2.1 standard used for the push notificatiom to a modern computer OS in times when our target audience wants to share high quality images to Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, Ovi and so on. MMS receipt would maybe gotten us far enough, so others can send her photo to you, but we decided to put our R&D into other areas. I hope consumers will forgive us for the time being.
Ho ho, already information about the first update of Maemo 5?

Little question:
OVI cards can be downloaded from the N900 or must go through a PC software?

More specifically, can we use all functionality of the N900 without Windows on our PC?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Thx. I was ready to buy the N900, but I think I'll wait for the e900.
Good luck waiting for that one! ;-) I wouldn't, if I were you.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Gotta ask our colleagues in Berlin...
Berlin in germany???
Can you give me their addresses??? Wanna see some n900... ;-)
just joking. didn't even know that nokia is in Berlin...

edit: maybe found them?!: http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&sou...2531395&li=lmd

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2009-08-30 at 19:30.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Ho ho, already information about the first update of Maemo 5?

Little question:
OVI cards can be downloaded from the N900 or must go through a PC software?

More specifically, can we use all functionality of the N900 without Windows on our PC?
Let us ship first the first sw and then let's talk about the update, okay?

OVI cards? I guess I should know what that is?! Anyway, my contacts from OVI are automatically synched into my contactbook on my N900 once I entered my IM profile

I don't use my PC for anythng else than moving files. Everything else comes over the air: email, calendar, sw updates, etc. But yes, for those that want to synch calendar with PC Suite, they can have it.

Now I'll get some sleep. Gotta be fresh for next week's live show to analyst and bloggers.

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-08-30 at 19:31.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

OVI cards? I guess I should know what that is?! Anyway, my contacts from OVI are automatically synched into my contactbook on my N900 once I entered my IM profile

I don't use my PC for anythng else than moving files. Everything else comes over the air: email, calendar, sw updates, etc. But yes, for those that want to synch calendar with PC Suite, they can have it.
korbé meant OVI maps..

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Good luck waiting for that one! ;-) I wouldn't, if I were you.
LOL, it was a continuation of the joke a few posts before it

Good luck with the marketing campaign, Peter!

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland

Now I'll get some sleep. Gotta be fresh for next week's live show to analyst and bloggers.
Thank you very much. As stated zehjotkah, I meant OVI maps. Sorry.

Regarding the synchronization of contacts, calendars, tasks and memos, I use CalDAV / WebDAV from a private server. Maemo 5 is also compatible with?

On my PC, I use Evolution on a GNU/Linux PC, note PC-Suite (it'y only for Windows and proprietary)

Oh, sorry, you go to sleep.
Good night and good luck for next week.

Last edited by korbé; 2009-08-30 at 19:36.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Yes, having MMS on a feature phone is important, but the N900 isn't a feature phone with limited resources. . We prioritized our resources to have brilliant multitasking of the frequent use cases. You can share photos easily to the Internet or by email. Implementing MMS would have meant dragging the ancient WAP 1.2.1 standard used for the push notificatiom to a modern computer OS in times when our target audience wants to share high quality images to Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, Ovi and so on. MMS receipt would maybe gotten us far enough, so others can send her photo to you, but we decided to put our R&D into other areas. I hope consumers will forgive us for the time being.
well thats confirmed i guess. wonder how long until someone nails together a third party mms system. i guess the messaging system can handle plugins?

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Well, the guys in the Engadget podcast WERE clueless. I can understand the 'guys joking around', and 'good cop, bad cop' approach but making a tech podcast talking about a device with this level of informedness is just embarrassing.
GDGT podcast wasnt much better, initially they said the N900 would be announced in December and cost $1000.

After a few comments it was corrected in the next podcast but it just shows how some American bloggers are a bit funny when it comes to Nokia for some reason.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
would it be possible to

a) sync calendar locally to linux (such as ubuntu)?

b) to a self-hosted server (for those cases where calendars contain sensitive data that cannot be stored on third party servers)?

Tags
fremantle, maemo, n900