Posts: 37 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Oregon
Bad News...
Wow no MMS that's a bummer hopefully someone can make a app.
Good News...
Love everything else about the device!

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
would it be possible to

a) sync calendar locally to linux (such as ubuntu)?
Probably not directly, but probably indirectly via Exchange compatibility.

That's one of the reasons why I'd love to see _FULL_ SyncML support -- support protocols, not specific solutions. Then the application ecosystem can fill in any gaps.

b) to a self-hosted server (for those cases where calendars contain sensitive data that cannot be stored on third party servers)?
It should probably work with any exchange compatible server.

So, CommuniGate Pro (which can run on Linux) ... Zimbra(?) ... isn't there an Exchange compatible Evolution server as well?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
MMS receipt would maybe gotten us far enough, so others can send her photo to you, but we decided to put our R&D into other areas.
You're a marketing guy, so you probably figure that using feminine pronouns is a really good way to not offend anybody (it's not as awkward as "he or she" and it's not offensive like "he"--it's perfect!), but the truth is that most native English speakers don't appreciate either strategy (and some find it rather obnoxious). If you need to use a generic pronoun use "they" or "their".

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
well thats confirmed i guess. wonder how long until someone nails together a third party mms system. i guess the messaging system can handle plugins?
Wouldn't you need a gateway and a server too? Most carriers limit message size and compress images.
One of the reason I have an N810 is so that I can BT phone pics to it and then send them as email attachments... bypassing my carriers dang MMS server altogether.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You're a marketing guy, so you probably figure that using feminine pronouns is a really good way to not offend anybody (it's not as awkward as "he or she" and it's not offensive like "he"--it's perfect!), but the truth is that most native English speakers don't appreciate either strategy (and some find it rather obnoxious). If you need to use a generic pronoun use "they" or "their".
I don't think it was intentional probably simple typo in the pronouns. I think it may be proper "Finglish" though.

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
I don't think it was intentional probably simple typo in the pronouns. I think it may be proper "Finglish" though.
Could be. Hungarian (which is actually related to Finnish) does not have this gender thing at all You heard that right. No separate he/she/it, it all goes into one 3rd person giant melting pot (a la 'they'). Definitely results in some funky English.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Wouldn't you need a gateway and a server too? Most carriers limit message size and compress images.
One of the reason I have an N810 is so that I can BT phone pics to it and then send them as email attachments... bypassing my carriers dang MMS server altogether.
well i was mostly thinking of if some relative, friend or other would try to send a mms in the users direction, and the phone being able to show it rather then some "please go to carriers page to see the message".

from what i understand, its mostly about grabbing a special sms when it comes, parse it, and aim a connection towards a carrier server to download the data.

question is if someone in the community can write a app that interfaces with the messaging system of the phone to do just that...

btw, i think nokia just handed the iphone faithful a big blinking neon "told you" sign...

Last edited by tso; 2009-08-30 at 22:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Could be. Hungarian (which is actually related to Finnish) does not have this gender thing at all You heard that right. No separate he/she/it, it all goes into one 3rd person giant melting pot (a la 'they'). Definitely results in some funky English.
Finnish doesn't have different words for he and she either. But this is kind of irrelevant because Peter is German.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
But this is kind of irrelevant because Peter is German.
Where they have different versions of "the" depending on whether you're talking about male, female, or neutral objects .... oh, and, objects have gender that is not necessarily "neutral", so you can't just assume that because it's not alive it uses the neutral form of things.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, this reminds me of when i read up on japanese honorifics, and how one could use them to play word games about the gender of a person...

Tags
fremantle, maemo, n900