Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Yesterday I found this information about the last version of Linux Kernel 2.6.33.

It is interesting for me - has Maemo/MeeGo compatibility at this moment with Linux Kernel 2.6.33?
And is it so important?

Thank you in advance to all participants.
Regards.

Anyone????

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
what do you mean, "compatibility"?

if you want, you probably could build a custom environment with the newest kernel, here's an explanation how to do that.

but you won't see this kernel in the "official" rootfs-package by nokia anytime soon.

why do you need it, anyways?

Well, I am not a linux developer or geek, but the info about non compatibility between Android and Linux Kernel was the thing which is interesting for me.

Also because of another info I got that Android is becoming not so close to Linux as Maemo is.

Regards.

Only thing is the Linux kernel as of version 2.6.33 has dropped the Android source code it had because Google nor anyone wasn't maintaining it. There isn't any "compatibility" thing on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ignacius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
well, handheld devices are highly integrated, meaning the kernel and it's modules have to match the used hardware very closely. so it's much more difficult to upgrade a kernel on those.

and yes, android is not a real linux, most of the code there is run in a java VM, called "darvik". maemo on the other hand provides most of the "real" linux GNU components, like gnu libc, gnu make, x.org and so on.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jorjino View Post
Well, I am not a linux developer or geek, but the info about non compatibility between Android and Linux Kernel was the thing which is interesting for me.

Also because of another info I got that Android is becoming not so close to Linux as Maemo is.

Regards.
Some Info..
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/andro...-problems.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tekplay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia, USA
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
well, handheld devices are highly integrated, meaning the kernel and it's modules have to match the used hardware very closely. so it's much more difficult to upgrade a kernel on those.

and yes, android is not a real linux, most of the code there is run in a java VM, called "darvik". maemo on the other hand provides most of the "real" linux GNU components, like gnu libc, gnu make, x.org and so on.
Isn't Linux a kernel, so Linux is Linux? And Android isn't using the kernel? So by that definition is embedded Linux not Linux because it doesn't provide the tools?

Please help me out...

Originally Posted by ogahyellow View Post
Isn't Linux a kernel, so Linux is Linux? And Android isn't using the kernel? So by that definition is embedded Linux not Linux because it doesn't provide the tools?

Please help me out...
It has been said that "Android is not Linux" and this is largely true as Android, and all the value it provides, is given by the Dalvik JVM. There's no reason you couldn't port Dalvik to Symbian, WinMo, iPhone OS, etc.

As such, Android's use of the Linux kernel is purely incidental. It provides no libraries or utilities commonly found on Linux systems beyond Busybox. The only way to get access to the Linux based subsystem is via the NDK, use of which Google discourages as there is no guarantee your software will run on all Android devices (not that there's any guarantee now, but still.)

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia, USA
Got it, I think. Somewhat akin to porting Qt to an unsupported platform like Solaris?