Active Topics

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Spark pre-order registration is open!

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
tried to conntact developers with email address provided on their site, the mail is unable to be delivered from multiple tried services...lol, what a great support straight from the start

I'll take it...but expect a Zenithink C71 in the mail

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Anybody hear anything about auraslate?

http://www.auraslate.com/page2.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Anybody hear anything about auraslate?

http://www.auraslate.com/page2.html
a) Android? if so not interesting at all
b) specs? a bit vague about hardware platform or i just couldnt(not that i tried too much...) find it

btw since the cpu i a9 800-1000MHz i gues that the cpu is the same gpl violating and too expensive piece of crap as in this zenithink...

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-18 at 16:40.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Hopefully the Spark will ignite a whole new range of open hardware for opensource projects. 8)
The auraslate could become a second one. They came too late for the first Spark tablet, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Hopefully the Spark will ignite a whole new range of open hardware for opensource projects. 8)
The auraslate could become a second one. They came too late for the first Spark tablet, though.
The Spark has the most buzz but this thing is already available for purchase (with source code). And Spark has already said they don't have the full source code.

My concern is there is no warranty, no refunds. Looks to part of viewpad 7 type device family. If so, standard cpu w/ source is better than the AmLogic (?) on Spark. There is more info here:

http://www.auraslate.com/page8.html

I'm just concerned about the legitimacy of this thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
The impression i get from the auraslate is that yes they have source code. But said code is not freely redistributable. Note how one need to pay for a CD with the source on it. Basically, they have managed to negotiate a deal where the source for the drivers are licensed on a individual basis. You can't take the source on the CD and make a working firmware image that you can put online as far as i can tell. So there is no way for a community to put up a git server and cooperate on improving the driver quality. At best one can pass patches around, but i am not even sure if that is allowed. Hell it may even be that if anyone that has looked at the source goes on to make a free version for inclusion into the kernel proper, one risk the kind of lawsuit we observed when SCO claimed IBM had used UNIX code in Linux. Looking at the source may well taint the person from ever working on a related area of the kernel ever again, for fear of unconsciously using something seen and so getting sued. As such, the reverse engineered Mali driver, or no driver at all, may be better than the Auraslate drivers. I am not a lawyer tho.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
You won't get RHEL errrrrm, fedora? for free without support. I tried two years ago. The same goes for SLES OPENSuse?
The free and enterprise versions of these are completely different beasts. If you think they are the same then you're obviously not in the market for the enterprise versions.

and Oracle Fedora again?
No, it is a blatant ripoff of RHEL.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
spark DOES NOT HAVE OPEN HARDWARE PLATFORM
they are buying their devices from a manufacturer that violates GPL even thou they had an cheaper, more powerfull and open platform as a possible choice
do not misinform people please

if your post does not imply that spark is open then i apologise :P

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-18 at 17:54.