Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
what is an airtime contract?
Means, probably a reseller (provider) that buys minutes from the carrier(s) and resell them using their own t&c / contractual agreements, often even their own billing.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Or possibly just a carrier contract. In France I bought my N900 from the carephone warehouse, with subsidies, but with a carrier that did not sell it itself. (ie third parties get "cash" subsidies that they can apply on any phone when they sell a contract in behalf of a carrier)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I bet that since selling the N9 in certain countries isn't part of Nokia's strategy, the pricing for the N9 won't be optimal from the point of view of carriers in those countries. In other words, the N9 will be running a race wearing a ball and chain.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Or possibly just a carrier contract. In France I bought my N900 from the carephone warehouse, with subsidies, but with a carrier that did not sell it itself. (ie third parties get "cash" subsidies that they can apply on any phone when they sell a contract in behalf of a carrier)
Basically Yup.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Edinburgh
I popped into my local Orange shop today to see what deals I could negotiate on my contract if I was to buy the N9 sim free. The answer was, rather disappointingly 'we wouldn't do a deal, i'm afraid. you could continue on your contract as-is' - so this looks to be an expensive couple of years for me, phone wise.

Ok, I thought, let's try a different tack - 'are there any plans for Orange to carry the N9?'. 'Hm, I read an article that it isn't even coming to the UK so I think we're pretty unlikely to'.

I really do think we've got an uphill battle if we want carriers in the UK to offer the N9, folks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twrist For This Useful Post: