I would happily pay for a mirror of the repos on a 2TB HD. This would be a good way to support the community.

Something similar has been done with MAME Roms, but the model was normally just to sell the rom sets at cost I think.

Anybody thinks this is a good idea?

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I suppose you're not "selling" but renting or buying, right?

All support should be hailed with applause but it begs the question, why not simply donate money?

Have a look here, if you're interested

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88222

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Another point to note is the Community now thanks to the support provided by IPHH doesn't actually need financial support. IPHH for a period of at least 12 months are hosting all maemo infra for free

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Yes, I meant I would be buying. I thought it would be a good idea to kill 2 birds with one stone: Provide a source of revenue, and allow widespread availability of full mirror images.

I still have a Zaurus SL-C1000 with pdaXrom, and when the devices stopped being popular feeds started disappearing. It's a sad thing. One of my goals is to get a local mirror with the N900 repos. Just in case.

And tip of the hat to IPHH

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Another point to note is the Community now thanks to the support provided by IPHH doesn't actually need financial support. IPHH for a period of at least 12 months are hosting all maemo infra for free
Yup. Just wanted to add: even though IPHH kindly host our servers there, there is still some administration to do, which is also kindly done by volunteers, but we never know when money will be needed for e.g. hardware replacements, etc.

So it's good if we at least have some sort of safety buffer with some $$$ in it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Agreed; checking the Donors Wall, the community has $4392.16 which is a pretty sizeable buffer IMO

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: