I've had my N800 for some time now and I'm just starting to try and convert DVD's to my player (N800). I've done some extensive reading in the forums but have yet to have any luck. I see many people have different opinions on what works best for them but I've yet to find one that will work for me. Newbie is an understatement as I understand nothing about codec, linux or much of anything else that seems to be discussed when I am on my quest for help. I've spent way too much time on this over the last several day so it isn't for the lack of effort, simply knowledge. Would anyone be so kind as to provide a complete newbie some advice or better yet simple step by step instructions? It needs to be in a format that has little in the way of technical terms I've mentioned above. I want to thank you in advance for your time and effort.

This is what I've done. Downloaded Nokia Video Converter, DVDFab I think it is called and Auto GK. I gave up on Handbrake I couldn't figure it out. I show files as AVI after GK but when I try to drag and drop, the same answers I've been getting contiously "Format not supported" At first I had some MV4 files that wouldn't work either but I believe that was with handbrake?

My System:
Dell 8250
Pentium 4?
2.40 Ghz
1 Gig RDRAM
4X DVD+R/RW CD-RW Combo Drive
Windows XP
Don't laugh it is almost six years old

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
You can search the forums -- there's been lots of discussion around this. Someone has written a plugin (search the discussion for the location of the plugin) for the IT Video Converter (see my sig for where to get that).

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following User Says Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
I did stumble across a ten step process using DVD Shrink and Nokia Video Converter. I've downloaded both and a DVD is in the rendering process now. Could you please explain plug in and sig? As I stated I'm clueless on some of these terms. Thanks again!

Look at my sig. Go download the official Nokia Video Converter (not the one called Nokia Video Converter which is distributed from a non-Nokia site). It's a drag/drop interface for converting videos.

Then search and find something like this thread:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22303
In there is a link to a 3rd party plug in to do work with a DVD

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following User Says Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
I have downloaded the official version of the video converter from the Nokia site. The problem I'm having is generating any files it finds acceptable. Almost everything I've done is unacceptable as far as a format it will accept. I could really use a complete idots guide on what files are acceptable and how to produce them. My earlier adventure(s) have been incredibly frustrating. So far I've generated only one video and unfortunately it included directors comments. I thought I had that figured out but my next attempt produced nothing but unrecognizable files again! I love the tablet for what it can do but uploading DVDs is a nightmare at least for a total newbie. I just can't believe it is this tough. I'm no computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination nor do I consider myself the village idot. Is there anyone that can provide some clear guidance, please?

Last edited by OneFenris; 2008-10-27 at 05:01.

You don't explain if your problem is with ITVC or with the plugin. If the problem is with ITVC, please describe in detail what the problem is and what the symptoms are. Generally, any vide you can play in Windows Media Player, ITVC can convert just fine.

If your problem is with the plugin, please contact the author of the plugin.

I'd assume my problem is with the ITVC if that is refering to the Nokia video converter. I'm not sure what a plugin is? Remember complete and total newbie here. When using FabDVD or ShrinkDVD I'm just not ending up with useable files that the Nokia converter is able to accept. I assume I'm not making appropriate choices when converting the DVD before placing it into Nokias converter. The messages I seem to get from Windows is that Windows can't open them because it doesn't know what created it. When I drag and drop it does the spinning circle loading then the old format not supported. When I stopped using the official Nokia converter I've had better luck using ShrinkDVD and the unofficial converter that looks like an N800 but when I drag and drop those files into the N800 external memory card Windows hangs and says it has encountered a problem and needs to close. So in my process I've generated avi,mv4 and VOB but nothing is working. I'm really at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong or right for that matter. I really do appreciate any help. With the holidays fast approaching I need some entertainment for the train ride home to family.

Last edited by OneFenris; 2008-10-27 at 05:48.

You should maybe put a video player app on your PC to test the videos once you create them. VLC is a good one.

I've had decent luck recently using Handbrake to convert a DVD. Just select the video_ts folder on your DVD and select the type of video file you want to create. It lets you select video resolution, framerate, bitrate, and so on. There's some good webpages explaining how to use Handbrake step by step. You probably want to do MP4 filetype with a bitrate around 400-800. Also, the built in media player is a bit more picky than mplayer for example (mplayer plays a bit wider range IMO). Handbrake lets you normalize the DVD audio which is nice (makes low sounds louder). There's also another app called SUPER which is also useful (but a bit harder to use) which lets you adjust the audio level (VERY useful for the speaker audio level on N800 as many movies need it increased to be audible). Mplayer may have a bit more choppy playback than media player.