Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 1,053 | Thanked: 1,118 times | Joined on Apr 2010
#1
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/08/...port-official/

Chrome OS will now be able to run Linux Applications. The apps will be run in a VM or container of sorts, apparently the performance is very good and there is very little performance penalty. This makes Chrome OS infinitely more useful. Being able to have true offline music player, gimp or development tools or many other applications makes Chrome OS more useful. The feature will also be available for for Arm based devices. Given that Chrome OS can on tablets, this could provide us with a perfect OS for Linux based tablets. Of course this could also help desktop linux. Unlike other Linux distros Chrome os is much more polished and easier to use and it is preinstalled on much more hardware than other Linux distros.
 

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
endsormeans's Avatar
Posts: 2,255 | Thanked: 5,446 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
#2
Intelligent move on the part of Chrome OS.
All I can say is...
There has always been a long history of either corrupting a good thing or abandoning it ...I have noticed ...
They better not screw it up...
Or all those converts who would use Chrome OS for this new-found ability...
Will walk away from the OS as easily as they may embrace and accept it now...
__________________
Lurker since 2007,
Member since 2013,
Certifiable since 1972

Rosa sum ergo spam sum....
I am pink, therefore I am spam


Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement),
3-n800's,
3-n810's,
5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 has loose usb ( considering it for parts), 1 has no telephony (perfect for permanent set-up as mini-pc with one of my monitors))
1/2 neo900 pre- "bought" in 2013. Due for production any moment now. .
3 nexus 5's : 1 with Lineage ( intend maemo leste when ready) , 1 with Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Plasma Mobile


PIMP MY N8X0
Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAY
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PRO
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
nthn's Avatar
Posts: 621 | Thanked: 2,263 times | Joined on Jun 2014
#3
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Unlike other Linux distros Chrome os is much more polished and easier to use and it is preinstalled on much more hardware than other Linux distros.
[multiple citations needed]
 

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
kinggo's Avatar
Posts: 668 | Thanked: 1,767 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
#4
so......... jolla is doing everything just to run android apps on linux while google is now doing the opposite...... Can we get this the right way please
 

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,577 | Thanked: 3,361 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#5
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
so......... jolla is doing everything just to run android apps on linux while google is now doing the opposite...... Can we get this the right way please
Apparently, you can run Android apps (need snapd and Anbox) on many linux distributions. I havn't tried it myself yet.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-an...s-games-linux/
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
endsormeans's Avatar
Posts: 2,255 | Thanked: 5,446 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
#6
Hahaha ...
Kinggo has it right...
...it appears to be all about not pleasing some of the people some of the time...or even trying to please some of the people all of the time...anymore...
Now...there is the attempt to have ones cake and yet eat it too...
Rack up more reasons to get onboard with whomever...

They are attempting to please all the people all the time...
That scenario always seems to just end up ugly in the end....whatever the situation...
Yeesh!
Wouldn't want to be in those forums when one side doesn't get the updates or functionality the other side gets...
It'll be like kids that don't get the exact same toy for Christmas...
It'll be like a bag of exploding cats...
Possibly worse ...
On the scale of a catnami...
Or a catnado ...
__________________
Lurker since 2007,
Member since 2013,
Certifiable since 1972

Rosa sum ergo spam sum....
I am pink, therefore I am spam


Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement),
3-n800's,
3-n810's,
5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 has loose usb ( considering it for parts), 1 has no telephony (perfect for permanent set-up as mini-pc with one of my monitors))
1/2 neo900 pre- "bought" in 2013. Due for production any moment now. .
3 nexus 5's : 1 with Lineage ( intend maemo leste when ready) , 1 with Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Plasma Mobile


PIMP MY N8X0
Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAY
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PRO
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,577 | Thanked: 3,361 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#7
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Hahaha ...
Kinggo has it right...
...it appears to be all about not pleasing some of the people some of the time...or even trying to please some of the people all of the time...anymore...
Now...there is the attempt to have ones cake and yet eat it too...
Rack up more reasons to get onboard with whomever...

They are attempting to please all the people all the time...
That scenario always seems to just end up ugly in the end....whatever the situation...
Yeesh!
Wouldn't want to be in those forums when one side doesn't get the updates or functionality the other side gets...
It'll be like kids that don't get the exact same toy for Christmas...
It'll be like a bag of exploding cats...
Possibly worse ...
On the scale of a catnami...
Or a catnado ...
Well, any seasoned veteran on maemo knows you generally please nobody here all of the time! That's what makes it special!
Signed,
your friendly curmudgeon...
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
kinggo's Avatar
Posts: 668 | Thanked: 1,767 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
#8
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Apparently, you can run Android apps (need snapd and Anbox) on many linux distributions. I havn't tried it myself yet.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-an...s-games-linux/
I know. But that was not my point.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,577 | Thanked: 3,361 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#9
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
I know. But that was not my point.
Yes, thanks. I figure many folks here should know this. But to be clear, cause I can read this many ways, what do you exacly mean by "Can we get this right please."
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
kinggo's Avatar
Posts: 668 | Thanked: 1,767 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
#10
I mean that we should run either native apps or change the OS.
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:52.