Active Topics

 



Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,568 | Thanked: 17,353 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#11
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@pichlo
are you talking about the 'normal' search on top of page?
Or the power search on the right side.
I know what Power Search is. Strangely, it seemed to work today on all three browsers I tried (Android stock, Sailfish stock and Pale Moon on Windows). I had not tried it for years because it had never worked before, wherever and whenever I tried:

Name:  Power Search.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  22.3 KB
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
velox's Avatar
Posts: 340 | Thanked: 1,155 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#12
I've just had another look at the new Custom Search:
A simple Integration is really trivial with access to the page html, in fact, I have set up one with my account as a test, including some maemo-esque colours. But as I am not a member or representative of Maemo e.V., I don't think that's useful (there seem to be a few search statistics like "top search phrases" to which I would have access).

For a registered non-profit, a free version without ads is available, that might be a nice thing to have. https://www.google.com/nonprofits/

EDIT:
The old search-ID seems to still work. So the working code would be as follows:
Code:
    <script>
        (function() {
          var cx = '012414234624903107508:2laarii9gbw';
          var gcse = document.createElement('script');
          gcse.type = 'text/javascript';
          gcse.async = true;
          gcse.src = 'https://cse.google.com/cse.js?cx=' + cx;
          var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];
          s.parentNode.insertBefore(gcse, s);
        })();
      </script>
      <gcse:search></gcse:search>
__________________
slumber: sensors enabled sleep timer for SFOS (translations/input/ appreciated if you've got some spare time)
talefish: directory based audiobook player for SFOS
nofono: ofono restart for SFOS
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

Last edited by velox; 2018-06-06 at 12:26.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
wicket's Avatar
Posts: 576 | Thanked: 2,888 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
#13
Can we not switch to another search provider? One whose business objective isn't to collect as much data as possible on every individual on the planet?
__________________
DebiaN900 - Native Debian on the N900. Deprecated in favour of Maemo Leste.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer
 

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,440 | Thanked: 11,084 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#14
I agree, it is rather pointless to use external provider for searches since the data is in our own servers.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,568 | Thanked: 17,353 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#15
Perhaps switch to this one?
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 350 | Thanked: 1,806 times | Joined on Jul 2014
#16
Wait, why do we have 3 search boxes?

What is wrong with this one - http://talk.maemo.org/search.php , which is a mere 3 items down in the same menu...
__________________
SirenSong v0.5
Like my work? buy me a beer
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
peterleinchen's Avatar
Posts: 3,392 | Thanked: 6,459 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
#17
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I agree, it is rather pointless to use external provider for searches since the data is in our own servers.
Yes.
But ...
__________________
SIM-Switcher, automated SIM switching with a Double (Dual) SIM adapter
--
Thank you all for voting me into the Community Council 2014-2016!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature
 

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
peterleinchen's Avatar
Posts: 3,392 | Thanked: 6,459 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
#18
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Wait, why do we have 3 search boxes?

What is wrong with this one - http://talk.maemo.org/search.php , which is a mere 3 items down in the same menu...
... have you ever tried to find anything on TMO/MO with the.standard search?
The only eliable procedure is to use tbe 'google' search (as sad as it is).
__________________
SIM-Switcher, automated SIM switching with a Double (Dual) SIM adapter
--
Thank you all for voting me into the Community Council 2014-2016!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature
 

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
peterleinchen's Avatar
Posts: 3,392 | Thanked: 6,459 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
#19
Originally Posted by velox View Post
I've just had another look at the new Custom Search:
A simple Integration is really trivial with access to the page html, in fact, I have set up one with my account as a test, including some maemo-esque colours. But as I am not a member or representative of Maemo e.V., I don't think that's useful (there seem to be a few search statistics like "top search phrases" to which I would have access).

For a registered non-profit, a free version without ads is available, that might be a nice thing to have. https://www.google.com/nonprofits/

EDIT:
The old search-ID seems to still work. So the working code would be as follows:
Code:
    <script>
        (function() {
          var cx = '012414234624903107508:2laarii9gbw';
          var gcse = document.createElement('script');
          gcse.type = 'text/javascript';
          gcse.async = true;
          gcse.src = 'https://cse.google.com/cse.js?cx=' + cx;
          var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];
          s.parentNode.insertBefore(gcse, s);
        })();
      </script>
      <gcse:search></gcse:search>
Thanks!
I support/propose to try that.
__________________
SIM-Switcher, automated SIM switching with a Double (Dual) SIM adapter
--
Thank you all for voting me into the Community Council 2014-2016!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature
 

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
wicket's Avatar
Posts: 576 | Thanked: 2,888 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
#20
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I agree, it is rather pointless to use external provider for searches since the data is in our own servers.
Agreed. Right now we have Search and Advanced Search (internal) and also Power Search (external). Are you suggesting we get rid Power Search or replace it with some other internal search?

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
... have you ever tried to find anything on TMO/MO with the.standard search?
The only eliable procedure is to use tbe 'google' search (as sad as it is).
I'm often able to find what I'm looking for with the internal search. Sometimes I use DuckDuckGo if I can't.

One problem with external search engines like DuckDuckGo or Google is that they index words listed under the "Active Topics" which is displayed on every page. These words may be completely irrelevant to the indexed thread, so you end up with a lot of false positives in the search results.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Thanks!
I support/propose to try that.
This is TMO, not some Android forum. Many people here actually care about privacy. I think it's useful to have an external search option but Google is just unacceptable for many TMO users. Not to mention, why on earth should JavaScript be required for searching? I appreciate that velox is trying help out, so no offence, but I think it's time we got rid of Google.

This would be my proposal:

Code:
<iframe src="https://duckduckgo.com/search.html?duck=yes&site=talk.maemo.org&prefill=Search TMO with DuckDuckGo&focus=yes" style="overflow:hidden;margin:0;padding:0;width:483px;height:60px;" frameborder="0"></iframe>
More info here:

https://duckduckgo.com/search_box
__________________
DebiaN900 - Native Debian on the N900. Deprecated in favour of Maemo Leste.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15.