Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Supposed to be getting my review N900 today or Monday; will have to take a look at the microUSB port issue and see if this was something addressed in a later production run.

Besides the battery area, would there be any other place that the N900's production information (time/place) would be seen?

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
The USB mini Port issue is still existent. I'd like to direct your attention to the Link in my Signature. Thanks

hi, but Nokia want to fix it, the stupid USB???

I think that nokia should callback a lot of N900, because go away USB.

The Following User Says Thank You to toulousewei For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Holyshit View Post
- An outdated UI when compared to HTC Sense, WebOS or on the X10. Lame default old 90s icons etc
Actually, I like the UI. What's your problem with it?
I think it is quite simple and usable, and I like simple much more than bloatware.

The icons... well, I think they're nice enough.
But you chan change all this with themes.

hi, this thread is over a month old

The Following User Says Thank You to roger_27 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I now feel your pain. My micro USB port has disconnected and is now loose inside the N900 and I can't use for charging or anything else anymore. Unlike you though, I had no violent pulls. I just started noticing that plugging it into a computer resulted in it sometimes not recognizing that it was plugged in. I would have to plug it in a few times before it would start charging. I was always perfectly careful when inserting or removing the micro USB cable... so this makes me think there might be a design problem in the N900.

I'm afraid to see if there's going to be a huge wave of returns/repairs in two months due to this issue. :/
so how did this turn out for you? did nokia give you a fresh one and honor the warrenty?

my power jack has always been loos and now tonight it finally became so loose that it wont charge. tried to call nokia but they are closed now but i will be sure to see tomorrow if they will fix for free as i am still under warrenty. my only concern is that they will say it is not a manufacture defect and may have been jarred loos by dropping, or uneccesarry tugging on the power cord or some other crap to get out of it. has anyone been succesful at getting a return or a new unit?

I never write essays about my tools. I just use them productively which excludes writing essays about them. What gives?

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Egypt, cairo
hi guys
this is my very first post in this forum
peace and love from egypt to you all
i want to share with you my problem in deciding a good phone for me
it's kind of a long story, so please try to make time to read it and help me

i was looking for a nice powerfull phone for like ages, and back in the day when the nokia E71 hit the markets i was really happy by the idea of full physical qwerty, not to mention the sleekness of the device, but the price tag was on the heavy side for me back then

so i settled for nokia E63 which as most of you know, was the next best thing to the E71
since day one with it i didnt like the feel of the keys, not to mention the processing power on it, so sadly enough i sold it and settled for a nokia 6500 slide
for me back then i liked the formfactor, the nice camera with powerfull flash
but a 100% phone is out of range it seems !!
the phone got stolen after like being with me for almost more than a year, it was so nice that i didnt think twice and went on and bought me the new 6500 slide black edition
same goes for the original 6500 slide except with somehow better software
and for another year it was fine
till my demandes changed and i really wanted a bigger screen that i can open pdf books on, qwerty physical keyboard to take notes and possibility to edit some word documents as well

since that time i was totally disappointed with most of the phones on the market
nothing seemed the exact match to my needs
even the rock solid E72 had a very minor issue with me, its his small screen not to mention the resolution (which i dont care that much about) but the keys on it omg, one of my friends had it and i thought about giving it a try
i typed insantly on it with a very good speed with almost no typoes whats so ever
i was amazed how the new processor on it worked like charm
gps navigation is rock solid wifi is awesome everything is exactly what i needed in a phone
except of course of that goddam small screen
i looked into the nokia N97 mini, but it had it's share of disappointments that nokia seems to like giving it's fans lately, either with the original N97 or the N97 mini or even with the brand new disguise of the N97 mini (or is it a blend between N97 design & N97 mini guts) who knows!!
the so called nokia C6
it's another shame for nokia regarding the specs, which is like a copy of the N97 mini, with the D pad on the right side this time

wake up nokia, i dont know about you guys but if it was me in those shoes of nokia designers team, it would be a total different thing with high end nokia devices
i wouldnt even let people think about loosing their money for the so called i phone
i hate i phone and what it stands for
anyhow back to the topic
as i didnt find the device i was looking for i settled for the time being with a nokia 6700 slide (may be i am addicted to the sliding phones who knows)
but for now i have been doing some home work on the N900
i simply adore it
i have seen most of the reviews on you tube
read almost all i can find on the user experience about it as well

cause it's not that cheap even now at this time here in egypt, it's price tag is around 550-570 usd unlocked of course
(here in egypt its not the trend to lock phones, except of course for the i phone but who cares about that)
the price range of the nokia E72 is around 390-410 usd

anyhow yesterday i went for a store and got hold of the phone and played around a little bit with it
it was exactly what i was looking for all those years
nice big screen
physical qwerty ( i dont know if it is my E63 experience and E72 try , but i didnt think i would enjoy typing on the N900, i found it a little hard specially the space bar, so please tell me about typing experience and does the practice help getting over it)
powerfull unlimited potential operating system

what made me didnt buy it was my doubts over the battery so i thought to get back home and google it more
thats when i found this forum and had been reading it to find out when i was crushed by that micro usb connector issue

i adore the N900 but what good is a phone that cant be charged
i didnt find any updates on that issue and i really want you guys to guide me on this

i miss the sweet old days when i used to have siemens sx1, i used to install hacked firmwares on it and modded as well
it was the very best time ever for me to be able to modify the phone to my likings
so you see i cant wait till i get my own N900 and start trying everything there is with it
i am counting on your experience and guidance
should i buy it or go with the crowd with a reliable E72

and if i may add a question does the N900 has a network independant GPS just like the E72 or do i need a constant streaming of data over my network carrier for it to lock?

i am so sorry for all that long story but i really need help and i am glad that i found a forum dedicated to the device i adore although the so called good folks of Nokia decided to let go of such a device with endless potentials

waiting your response soon
thanks alot

guys your answer would be greatly appreciated i cant wait more

Last edited by amir; 2010-12-12 at 20:12. Reason: i wanted to add something

Tags
leaving rat droppings, the rat is at it again, what am i at?? :p