Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
I predict the update will be postponed by (at least) another week.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

I predict the release will be sometime in March, but they should take more time as needed if they're not 100% ready.
I don't want them releasing something half-baked, just because of lots of whining about them missing delivery targets.
join the betting and pick a date?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
hey, i copy&past all, after

# systemctl start cpug.service

i get this massage:

[root@localhost ~]# systemctl start cpug.service
Failed to issue method call: Unit cpug.service failed to load: Bad message. See system logs and 'systemctl status cpug.service' for details.

than i try this:
# systemctl status cpug.service

and get this:
cpug.service - Change CPU Govenor performance
Loaded: error (Reason: Bad message)
Active: inactive (dead)
Best guess: Ensure that this is on one line:

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "/bin/echo 'performance' > /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor"

Nano seems to sometimes add line-breaks where it shouldnt (you can add -w to prevent this)

So, please ensure that this is ONE line

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "/bin/echo 'performance' > /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor"

I added a .txt file to my post, that you may use

Last edited by nieldk; 2014-03-17 at 11:42.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Given that this is the first full release is anyone else planning to do a full reste before the release? I know that on both my N900 and N9 the device always seemed to run better after this.

Question is do I do a full device reset before or after the update, or just not bother?
At least part of the reason for this was likely that standard development practices, at least while I was working on Harmattan, involved a lot of reflashing. Daily, or more often, depending on how often you were multitasking in some cases. I was pretty resistant to this, but especially earlier on, it was hard to avoid.

Jolla on the other hand has been much more focused on getting upgrade paths working from the start. I reflashed my N950 a sum total of, I think 3 times, from when I started hacking on Sailfish in 2012 to when I retired it mid 2013. My Jolla devices have been a similar experience: I haven't often managed to get into a situation where I need a reflash, and when I have, it's generally been thanks to me doing something stupid not that I'd ever screw up my homescreen without USB rescue mode enabled, or anything..

This isn't to say that we're perfect, I'm sure we've made mistakes, but just that at least for a number of us, updating is a core part of how we work - not reflashing - and if the upgrade experience isn't smooth, we'd like to know why.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
To change cpu governor at boot, do something like this

[CODE]
[Unit]
Description=Change CPU Govenor performance
[Service]
Type=forking
# If you install my cpufrequtils
# ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpufreq-set -g performance
This is the GPU, not CPU governor. CPU governor is at:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

(and related tunables). The second core is also at cpu1, but 'mpdecision' (a qualcomm binary) will leave it switched off, thus, the sys entries won't be there a lot of the time unless you explicitly power it on, iirc something like:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online

Note that while altering the GPU governor doesn't seem to have much impact on battery (more studies ongoing, which is why we don't alter it by default at this time), the CPU governor has a very real chance to mess with your battery life, as currently, it clocks down to minimum frequency very fast when idle.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
I had to transfer more money from savings to the main account so I went called into my manual banking service. There I had to identify myself of course using the numeric tones. Nearly every time I tried entering my personal security number or the password that damned keyboard issued double-taps (sent the same number twice). This ended up in that I locked my phone service account.

This was a serious bug and it was consistent. It sent the same number twice intermittently and irritated the hell out of me.
I have not encountered that kind of behaviour, altough I have used the "send-dtmf-coded-numbers" with several different companies automated phone services.

Does your touchscreen feel otherwice "too sensitive" or something? It could be caused by HW failure of course, or by something you have installed on the device?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
This is the GPU, not CPU governor. CPU governor is at:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
Thanks, the service script should be easy to modify

Yes, I noticed that, unfortunately ? changing that paramter has no effect, it is reset to '0' immediately.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
The second core is also at cpu1, but 'mpdecision' (a qualcomm binary) will leave it switched off, thus, the sys entries won't be there a lot of the time unless you explicitly power it on, iirc something like:

Does this mean that while the Jolla device is dualcore by HW, only 1 core is currently running on the device?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Thanks, the service script should be easy to modify

Yes, I noticed that, unfortunately ? changing that paramter has no effect, it is reset to '0' immediately.
hmm something goes wrong by me:

[root@localhost ~]# systemctl status cpug.service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/cpug.service; enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:33:01 +0100; 11s ago
Process: 2313 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c /bin/echo 'performance' > /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cpug.service

i check the line and its in one line not two.

Originally Posted by cvp View Post
hmm something goes wrong by me:

[root@localhost ~]# systemctl status cpug.service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/cpug.service; enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:33:01 +0100; 11s ago
Process: 2313 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c /bin/echo 'performance' > /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cpug.service

i check the line and its in one line not two.
I think it is good, the service is only supposed to run once after boot.

You can confirm with
cat /sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"