Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Thanks for help guys My N900 got repaired under warranty - the entire motherboard got replaced resulting in me having in a sense a new phone (the IMEI number is different). I just hope the USB port will be now less prone to breaking off... thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to RafaLL92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Has anyone tried adding glue or resin to strengthen the socket-board bond? I'm tempted to try superglue as it will get into any gaps between socket and board, and is easy to remove if it goes in the wrong place and blocks the plug. My N900 is out of warranty, and might not be superceded any time soon.

PS Everybody should have a universal Li-Ion charger for emergencies like above. You can get one off the web for $3.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ fauldhouse
my 1 broke sent it back nokia gave me new 1 and overclocking dunt void warnnty my 1 was overclock to 1ghz hade nitdroid installd modefide desk top so i hade 9 home screems and thay chamg it no probalm

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
... looks like it's only available shipped from hong kong ... guess I should prbably get one (and a spare battery!) anyway ... as I love this phone and if it happens again when it's out of warrenty then I'm going to need to work around the USB port ...
I'm sure you can find some UK sellers. I bought this universal charger recently, and while it isn't the cheapest it works nicely and it works with many batteries so shouldn't become redundant when I stop using my N900. Or there is this one whcih claims to be a UK seller. Or if you know someone who has a Nokia that uses the same battery (e.g. the 5800XM) then you can ask them nicely to charge your battery for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
I'm sure you can find some UK sellers. I bought this universal charger recently, and while it isn't the cheapest it works nicely and it works with many batteries so shouldn't become redundant when I stop using my N900. Or there is this one whcih claims to be a UK seller. Or if you know someone who has a Nokia that uses the same battery (e.g. the 5800XM) then you can ask them nicely to charge your battery for you.
... strange that didn't come up in my frantic search of ebay yesterday ... looks good though! ... I gave up in the end and ordered one from Hong Kong ...

... I've also contacted Nokia Care and sorted out to send my phone off on Monday ... I gave in after just one night of being without my n900 ... and decided that getting it back and working fast was more important than saving the data that I will lose ...

(actually, I don't think I'll be losing that much that I need in the end ... I did a full Nokia back up to my computer a couple of weeks ago ... and I have copies of the vast majority of files on my phone ... will just take some time and attention to get it all back as I would like ... but it never hurts to pay your n900 a little attention!)

*sighs* ... anyway ... moral of the story ... back up thoroughly and send off your phone before the USB actually beomes attached!

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
The simplest solution is to buy a blackberry charger and blackberry usb cable.

Seriously, try it out for yourself with a friends blackberry charger/usb to test that it fits perfectly.

This is because the problem is not with the actual port on the n900, but with the size of the nokia micro usb on the charger/cable, this same problem was persistant with my nokia n96.

Blackberry has been more accurate with the sizing of the micro usb on their charger/usb cable, so if you buy those, you will never have a problem with the cable being lose when plugged into the n900, it will fit perfectly and charge properly, without every breaking or causing any sort of damage to the phone.

I have personally tested this with both my nokia n96 and n900, and currently use blackberry chargers and blackberry usb cables for my n900 rather than the nokia ones!

my usb connection part has pulled out of my n900 today

looks like i need a trip to nokia repair centre

My USB Port fell out at the weekend. Symptons started with charging problems till eventually the socket came out attached to the usb cable. Crap design.
Phone still under warranty so I'll give Nokia a chance to sort it.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by kenny324410 View Post
my 1 broke sent it back nokia gave me new 1 and overclocking dunt void warnnty my 1 was overclock to 1ghz hade nitdroid installd modefide desk top so i hade 9 home screems and thay chamg it no probalm
You had better get your keyboard repaired too.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
You had better get your keyboard repaired too.
I need to agree on this one......

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty