I've asked this question a while back and received an answer of:

Code:
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest="com.nokia.osso_browser" --print-reply /com/nokia/osso_browser/request com.nokia.osso_browser.load_url string:"google.com"
But I've run into a problem with this; when I do that in on the SDK I get:

Code:
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.nokia.osso_browser was not provided by any .service files
But if I open the browser manually, then try that, it works as expected. Is this a problem were some sort of DBUS service is not correctly started on the SDK or is this also present on a real device? Additionally, if this is not the correct way to call the browser, I'm open to alternate solutions!

This is the last thing stopping me from promoting my app to extras-testing....Thanks!

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
FWIW, that works on my N900. In the SDK, dbus-send commands must also be prefixed with run-standalone.sh.

And, unless you're using libosso to do the calling, you must prefix all URLs with http:// or the browser will refuse to open the URL given if there is already a browser window open.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Then this is probably an SDK-only issue?:

[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~] > run-standalone.sh dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest="com.nokia.osso_browser" --print-reply /com/nokia/osso_browser/request com.nokia.osso_browser.load_url string:"http://www.google.com"
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.nokia.osso_browser was not provided by any .service files

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Then this is probably an SDK-only issue?:
Must be. DBus isn't my strong point... Someone was saying they had the same error with com.nokia.hildon-desktop, which is also on the system bus...

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Must be. DBus isn't my strong point... Someone was saying they had the same error with com.nokia.hildon-desktop, which is also on the system bus...
In that case, could you do me a huge favor?

On your N900:

1) Enable extras-devel*
2) Install TouchSearch (should be v1.1-4)**
3) Try searching something

If that works fine, reboot and repeat those three steps above before doing anything else.

Thanks!

* For others reading this thread, please don't do this. I do not want a bricked N900 on my conscious. Thank you
** This is a Python app, so it'll pull in a few megs in python libraries.

I installed 1.1-4 and see nothing available in my "Select widget[s]" list.

OK, rebooted and now it shows up. Still doesn't work.

But, while I'm here:
- HildonEntry over GtkEntry is preferred;
- The GtkImage in the dialog would be nicer if it was a button with the image so that one can change search engine from there, if needed, without having to go back; and
- I'll look into it myself (the launching of the browser, that is)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-10-20 at 19:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
OK, sorry, it does turn out that it is working, but dbus-send is a really slow way of doing it. So I'll still work on a diff, anyway.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
OK, sorry, it does turn out that it is working...
It's been my experience that dbus-send only works after you open the browser for the first time since a reboot (even if you close it right down).

...but dbus-send is a really slow way of doing it. So I'll still work on a diff, anyway.
Thanks, man!

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Thanks, man!
http://slexy.org/view/s20AYhGdzv

Hand on heart: It's way faster to open sites, and I do not need to open the browser first.

I hope that you can implement the other changes I suggested, and, perhaps, to make it like the original applet for Diablo, a history feature?

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Wow, thanks qwerty! That looks great! I tried using the osso stuff but couldn't figure out the API. This is waaaay cleaner than the kludge I was using. Thanks!

Concerning the other suggestions -- yes, I will definitely look into them. I think a history is also very doable.

Tags
browser, dbus, python