Active Topics

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
so, no components between the panel and the phone? so the phone has regulator that limits current for preserving 5v?
No other components than the panel and wire. And yes, I think there's regulator (because the connectivity & TOH i2c specs are still missing can't be sure) There's more information about the power input in wireless charging thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92059

EDIT: And you have to glue a plastic pin like in official TOH's to the panel next to the battery so the microswitch will trigger. Won't charge without it.

Actually that's not true. It charges without the pin too. Hmm..

Last edited by skvark; 2014-01-09 at 15:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
microswitch, good to know!!

so what happens if you plug the phone into the wall charger with this toh and pput it under the sun at the same time?

Originally Posted by droll View Post
so what happens if you plug the phone into the wall charger with this toh and pput it under the sun at the same time?
I don't know, but I hope there's some circuitry or logic which selects only one of the inputs when they both are available.

maybe check dbus messages and see if you can differentiate between the two different power sources. if it is distinguishable, there might be hope.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I expect bad things to happen if you plug in a wall charger and do not put the solar panel under the sun at the same time. Or even without the charger, depending on how it is wired.

The reason is that the photovoltaic cells suffer when subjected to reverse voltage. Which means, if you connect the panel to a voltage source higher than the voltage produced by the panel itself.

So some sort of protection is essential. At least a diode if nothing else. This has been mentioned a number of times, for example here. Of course, your solar panel may have a diode built in, but I somehow doubt it.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I expect bad things to happen if you plug in a wall charger and do not put the solar panel under the sun at the same time. Or even without the charger, depending on how it is wired.

The reason is that the photovoltaic cells suffer when subjected to reverse voltage. Which means, if you connect the panel to a voltage source higher than the voltage produced by the panel itself.

So some sort of protection is essential. At least a diode if nothing else. This has been mentioned a number of times, for example here. Of course, your solar panel may have a diode built in, but I somehow doubt it.
Answer from #jollamobile:

13:48 < skvark> does someone know how jolla reacts if there are 2 chargers connected, another to the usb an another to the back power pins?
13:50 < Jonni> skvark: back power pins are disabled when usb cable is connected.
13:51 < Jonni> (and yes, I've tested it with my wireless charger toh)

And I'll add a diode there to be sure that nothing bad happens if the voltage gets reversed.

Edit: If there is a reverse protection already in Jolla, then the diode would be useless?

Last edited by skvark; 2014-01-09 at 12:19.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
excellent! the pins are disabled when USB is connected. aaaaaaaah.

slightly off topic question: if the back power pins are disabled, will a TOH with a spare battery be impossible to charge when you plug in the wall charger? or is the reference in IRC only for input power pins?

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
How about printing the 2ndhalf so that there's an overhanging flap that covers the USB port when the solar kit is in use

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by droll View Post
slightly off topic question: if the back power pins are disabled, will a TOH with a spare battery be impossible to charge when you plug in the wall charger? or is the reference in IRC only for input power pins?
You would naturally build the extra-battery-capacity 2ndhalf so that it connects to the battery terminals of the device.
(of course you need to design it so that it does not add to the existing battery but replaces it)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: