Hi!

Im in a bit of a bind at the moment. Need a temporary fix for this issue.

At the moment, my wifi range is too limited. I would like share the wifi by placing one laptop in its range, connecting N900 to it as second wifi card and connect 3rd laptop to the wifi that the first laptop is connected to using n900 as hotspot.

1st laptop - Recieves wifi signal
usb connected n900 to first laptop - broadcasts that as hotspot
2nd laptop: can connect to n900 and use it.

Is there a way this can work. Much thanks!

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Use Qt Mobile Hotspot from repositories to do that. It supports USB hotspot.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
ad-hoc wifi AP, to be correct

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
the tricky part is forwarding the packets coming via wlan0 to the usb networking interface.

plus laptop1 needs to do the same (in reverse), i.e. forward incoming packets via usb-networking to the wlan interface.

sounds a bit too messy for my taste. but hey, it's your setup.

No, not tricky at all.
I did this on Windows as my "laptop1" and connected my N900 to it as follows:
Set up Qt Mobile Hotspot -> windows recognizes the N900 as a network adapter -> share the Internet to this network adapter and voila: connect "laptop2" to hotspot created by the N900.
Basically it's the same on Linux except for the Internet sharing part. I'm guessing that you need to use iptables forwarding for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to drucula For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drucula View Post
No, not tricky at all.
I did this on Windows as my "laptop1" and connected my N900 to it as follows:
Set up Qt Mobile Hotspot -> windows recognizes the N900 as a network adapter -> share the Internet to this network adapter and voila: connect "laptop2" to hotspot created by the N900.
Basically it's the same on Linux except for the Internet sharing part. I'm guessing that you need to use iptables forwarding for that.
Hey, thats exactly what I want to do.

I managed to setup QT hotspot as network adaptor for windows but cannot seem to make the next part work. Could you please post some instructions, as in how what options to select etc?

Again, I'll mention that n900 has been setup as network adaptor. What do I do after that?

Thanks again!

Bummer. I was kinda wrong and misled you. Qt Mobile Hotspot doesn't support what you wanted.
What you need to do is as the following:
1) Setup the N900 as a network adapter in windows and share the internet to it (i.e. http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking)
2) follow this guide and replace gprs0 with usb0