Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Remote WIFI Access To N900 Root/ System Files using Windows for Dummies

this help file assumes you know the risks and how to at least download and install apps from the extra repos..

1. install the following apps/software

n900 end: (all these apps are in extras repos)

mad developer - this will request password when installing (WRITE DOWN / TAKE NOTE OF PASSWORD !!)

rootsh

for pc end:

winscp (http://winscp.net/)

2. open winscp and put the WLAN ip address shown in mad developer in the 'host name'

3. user name "root", password "(password created during ssh install)"

4. save > login

5. you should now have access!!

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-01-21 at 03:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA, USA
can't find the mad developer.... what is it called inside of the app manager?

screenshots would be nice too

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wichita, KS
Originally Posted by jeweladdict View Post
can't find the mad developer.... what is it called inside of the app manager?

screenshots would be nice too
it's called "mad-developer" in app manager, but it's in extras-devel repository tho

mad-developer

in extras-devel repo
Attached Images

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-01-21 at 03:26.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
mine didnt ask for a password when installing. It has a developer password icon at the bottom, I type that password in and it says "access denied" on my pc. Help?

Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
mine didnt ask for a password when installing. It has a developer password icon at the bottom, I type that password in and it says "access denied" on my pc. Help?
FIXED: User ID is NOT root, its actually "developer" I guess they changed in the update

User: root worked for me, must have been b4 update......
when mad developer was installing SSH server/client it asks for password then

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia
Everything was working fine up until about 2 days ago, now for some reason I can't get access. Just get an Access Denied message.

oh and I tried using developer as in prevous post, still no luck.

try updating the mad developer from the app manager then trying with "developer"

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Why not just installing OpenSSH server, no need for MAD Developer overlay (unless you use MADDE). OpenSSH server also doesn't require extras-devel and extras-testing repos, so beginners are less likely to f-up their shiny precioussss..

Step 1 (assuming that rootsh is already installed): Install SSH Server from extras (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...penssh-server/)

Step 2: If it doesn't ask you to set a password during the installation (it doesn't ask when you install SSH Server & Client package, IIRC), open xterm and type:
Code:
sudo gainroot
When transfered to root shell, type: passwd

Set your password to something secure, the root account is `the GOD user`!

3) To find out your IP you can either type in xterm:
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 | grep inet | awk '{ print $2 }'
Or far easier, install Personal IP Address widget from extras ( http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...al-ip-address/ ) and have it all the time on one of the desktops.

After that, all you need is WinSCP, FileZilla Client, SSH Secure Shell package or any other that allows SFTP connection to your device, for host enter your IP, for user: root. When asked for password enter the one you've set during the installation and/or via the xterm.

Additionally, you can set a password for your user thus avoiding direct root access to the system - procedure is the same as for root, but you'd be setting password to your user so the command should be: passwd user

After that you can log-in using user `user` instead of `root`, from where you can gain root if you need to tinker with system files.

And additional warning: never ever save root password on your machine. Auto-login is extremely convenient way to invite someone to wreck your device. It shouldn't be that hard to type a root password you've previously set on a full-sized keyboard.

Last edited by zwer; 2010-02-01 at 04:30.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post: