Posts: 69 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ kerala
Originally Posted by hhbbap View Post
Are phones in India normally using English, or do they also support Hindi, Punjabi, etc. and how important will it be?

Related to targeting more markets?

13th of May:
https://blog.jolla.com/making-sailfi...-translations/

Links to:
https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Translate_the_OS

Normally all phones come with English and most of the people here prefer english as their phone language too. But Indian manufactures like Micromax , spice , intex etc make phones with native hindi support ( Without installing third party apps) and advertise it as theit USP (Part of their strategy to target rural population). It is mostly a marketing gimmick since,people who want hindi / other local languages in their samsungs/sony/iphone etc can always have third party keyboards and font support. There are numerous third party local language support apps in play store and istore. But for sailfish may be it makes sense for intex to ensure the os supports local language natively primarily because they are not sure of the enthusiasm of app developers towards sailfish. Intex may be also looking at some consistency across their products ( With all products supporting
local languages) . Companies like intex and micromax use their indian legacy also as a marketing element.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to padmaraj.ravi For This Useful Post:
i was really hoping to see this device go on air but as it feels to me, it is not serious enough to give too much hope for.
i can't believe i'm saying this, but i've decided to move on - just ordered the galaxy S7. it's gonna require long hard work to customize it the way i need it to be but there isn't and not going to be any other real alternative for the N900.
6 years - unbelievable life time for a smartphone these days. maemo community has been extremely helpful and supportive. won't be even close to that with android community.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by impeham View Post
i was really hoping to see this device go on air but as it feels to me, it is not serious enough to give too much hope for.
i can't believe i'm saying this, but i've decided to move on - just ordered the galaxy S7. it's gonna require long hard work to customize it the way i need it to be but there isn't and not going to be any other real alternative for the N900.
6 years - unbelievable life time for a smartphone these days. maemo community has been extremely helpful and supportive. won't be even close to that with android community.
Galaxy S7 is a great device. Please do come back, this is indeed the best community, whatever handheld I use I will always come here for advice/fun.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
If you were expecting something as nice as the S7 from Intex you'd have been very disappointed. Different leagues entirely. I'd rather have an original Jolla than the Intex even.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I'd rather have an original Jolla than the Intex even.
Would you be specific about this, please? Users like me who haven't used either Jolla or Intex devices are interested in the comparison and perspective.

Thanks.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Welcome to the dark side

Seriously though, you won't regret the move. After using the Google Nexus 5x for the last 6 months - I can't believe I left it so long to switch. Yes, Android is evil, but I've had enough of my life being tethered to a dead eco-system.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Welcome to the dark side

Seriously though, you won't regret the move. After using the Google Nexus 5x for the last 6 months - I can't believe I left it so long to switch. Yes, Android is evil, but I've had enough of my life being tethered to a dead eco-system.
Well said. And that is one of the many reasons I appreciate "full" SFOS - with Android Eco but not so evil.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Would you be specific about this, please? Users like me who haven't used either Jolla or Intex devices are interested in the comparison and perspective.

Thanks.
Just look at the thing. It's cheap and huge. 5" 720p display. No other half. Take the Jolla design and make it worse in every way.

Secondly from what we've been told so far it's going to be infested with India specific partner apps and they aren't licencing mapping.

It's probably fine for India but I don't see why anyone outside of the market it is intended for would get excited.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Well said. And that is one of the many reasons I appreciate "full" SFOS - with Android Eco but not so evil.
That's partly why I wanted to like SFOS. If the basic phone and pim parts of the OS worked and you only needed to dip into Android for apps that aren't on SFOS then I'd be using it full time but they simply don't and you can't replace them with Android apps as the integration of contacts, calendar, apps doesn't work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
I had an amusing sequence of emails with Intex.
Apparently they are afflicted with
an acutely malignant variant of the dreaded
left-hand/right-hand disease

what to think I can not imagine.

=========================================
Subject: Intex launches Aqua Secure - Advanced Security Becomes Handy #UnlockHappiness
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 12:05:23 +0000
Reply-To: Intex Technologies (I) Ltd. <iquery@intex.in>
Sender: "Intex Technologies (I) Ltd." <iquery=intex.in@mail150.suw16.rsgsv.net>
X-Mailer: MailChimp Mailer - **CIDxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx**

http://www.intex.in/mobile/smartphone/aqua-secure/

===============================================
To: "Intex Technologies (I) Ltd." <iquery@intex.in>
Subject: Re: Intex launches Aqua Secure - Advanced Security Becomes Handy #UnlockHappiness
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 06:20:15 +0000
X-Mailer: Claws Mail 3.11.1 (GTK+ 2.24.25; x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

Android is not linux
still waiting for linux smartphone

On Sat, 21 May 2016 12:05:23 +0000
Intex Technologies (I) Ltd. <iquery@intex.in> wrote:

> http://www.intex.in/mobile/smartphone/aqua-secure/
>
> ==============================================
Subject: SRxxxxxxxxxx-Re: Intex launches Aqua Secure - Advanced Security Becomes Handy#UnlockHappiness
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 09:58:05 +0530

Dear Customer,

Greetings from Intex!

We would request you to kindly share us your complete concern along with details so that we can serve you better.

Alternatively, you can also contact us at our helpline numbers as mentioned below from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM (IST).

Telecom Products Helpline Number : 1860 108 5555

Consumer Durables & IT Products Helpline Number : 1860 208 5555

SMS Helpline Number: 9582943043 (Use Short code: SVC <space><Your Query>)

SMS Helpline Number to know Status of Jobsheet: 9582943043 (Use Short code: CJOB <space><Jobsheet Number>)

SMS Helpline Number to register Installation Request: 9582943043 (Use Short code: INS <space><Mobile Number><space><Serial Number>)

We value your association with us and assure you of our commitment to serve you better.

Best Regards,
Customer Service Team,
Intex Technologies (India) Limited

============================================
To: Intex <iquery@intex.in>
Subject: Re: SRxxxxxxxxxx-Re: Intex launches Aqua Secure - Advanced Security Becomes Handy#UnlockHappiness
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 04:57:21 +0000

Hi,

many of us are waiting for the SAILFISH LINUX phone you mention
on your website:

http://intex.in/intex-sailfish-os/

as originally mentioned in an INTEX press release.

http://www.intex.in/Administration/R...0716013858.pdf

we think this may be the best hope for a real LINUX phone yet
(Ubuntu phone is not very nice, no multitasking and other issues)

thank you,
=======================================
Subject: Re: SRxxxxxxxxxx-Re: Intex launches Aqua Secure - Advanced SecurityBecomes Handy#UnlockHappiness
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 17:59:17 +0530

Dear Customer,

Greetings from Intex!.

We would request you to kindly provide us the snapshot where you have seen such information.

Alternatively, you can also contact us at our helpline numbers as mentioned below from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM (IST).

SMS Helpline Number: 9582943043 (Use Short code: SVC )

SMS Helpline Number to know Status of Jobsheet: 9582943043 (Use Short code: CJOB )

SMS Helpline Number to register Installation Request: 9582943043 (Use Short code: INS )

We value your association with us and assure you of our commitment to serve you better.

Best Regards,
Customer Service Team,
Intex Technologies (India) Limited.

===========================================
To: Intex <iquery@intex.in>
Subject: Re: SRcccccccccc-Re: Intex launches Aqua Secure - Advanced SecurityBecomes Handy#UnlockHappiness
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 00:00:54 +0000

Hi,

I see this information
on your website here:

http://intex.in/intex-sailfish-os/

and here:

http://www.intex.in/Administration/R...0716013858.pdf

perhaps you cancelled the plans ??

cheers

========================================
Subject: Re: SRvvvvvvvvvv-Re: Intex launches Aqua Secure - Advanced SecurityBecomes Handy#UnlockHappiness
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 13:58:46 +0530

Dear Customer,

Thank you for showing interest in Intex services.

We would like to inform you that our team is already working on this. Hence,we would request you to kindly wait for the same.

SMS Helpline Number: 9582943043 (Use Short code: SVC <space><Your Query>)

SMS Helpline Number to know Status of Jobsheet: 9582943043 (Use Short code: CJOB <space><Jobsheet Number>)

SMS Helpline Number to register Installation Request: 9582943043 (Use Short code: INS <space><Mobile Number><space><Serial Number>)

Best Regards,
Customer Service Team,
Intex Technologies (India) Limited

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post: