Active Topics

Any open access point I try to connect to gives me the "internet connection failed. unable to retrieve IP address from server. try again?" message.

It started happening sometime after the first SSU for diablo. I've tried several AP, some of which I've connected to before, and they all give me this message. I can see other people using the same AP on laptops and things.

I have no idea how to trouble shoot this. Is there log file I can look at, a cache to clear, or a config file to reset/tweak?

I can connect to every AP I've tried if it has WEP enabled.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Matt

bump, please. I just want to know where to look. Maybe I can diagnose it myself if I know what log file to look at.

sounds like these ones don't have dhcp running, so you don't automatically get assigned an IP address. Do you know anything more about them, like whether dhcp is supposed to be running. They may also be MAC filtering, in which case you won't get an IP address either

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
I know that they are free public APs, and that I can see other people connecting to them just fine using their laptops and iPhones. Also, I've connected to at least two of them before; but it's been a while.

It doesn't sound likely that all five public APs that I've run across have the same problem.

If I make a trip to one of these I know I've connected to before and confirm that I can connect to it with my laptop, what does that tell me? That the NIT is broke, right? It just seems like a bit of trouble to go through when I can see other people using the AP on their devices.

I'm guessing there are no diagnostic logs or no way to turn on anything diagnostic?

is there anyway to connect to a network from the command line? Maybe I can see some stdio output.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Look for basic connectivity issues. If you're seeing the AP, but not getting DHCP leases -- what does an "ifconfig -a" (aka /sbin/ifconfig) return? Assuming you're getting a IP -- do you get a default route (netstat -rn), or proper entries for DNS? (cat /tmp/resolv.conf.wlan0).

Most problems I've had have been DNS related -- but indications are that your system isn't connecting to the AP properly. Make sure you've selected the proper authentication type (that is; none), and that all the right icons are indicating unlocked, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to fattomm For This Useful Post:
When I get in range, I click the wifi icon in the status bar and choose select connection. It shows me a list of wifi APs, and I choose the one I want and connect. the wifi icon oscillates for a little while, and then it shows the "unable to retrieve ip" error and disconnects.

When it was working, I never had to set up anything to connect to these APs. They just worked. Now they just don't work.

Since it never connects, running ifconfig -a always gives me the same results - no ip address (except the loopback, of course.)

I'm posting this using my laptop at one of the APs that doesn't work. My laptop connects and gets an IP fine. My N810 does not. It just gives the unable to retrieve IP address and closes.

I was able to specify IP settings using the settings I retrieved from my laptop and connect via the N810.

So, as long as I have my laptop with me to connect to the open AP first, I'll be able to connect with the N810. This sucks.

It seems obvious to me that the dhcp client on the N810 is broken. Any help with fixing it would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to start.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
For me, it usually says that when it has a really bad signal. How close are you to the router? Have you connected before? What OS is your laptop?

First, delete all the troublesome AP's in your NIT. Start Fresh!

Then, see if Liunx on the laptop (liveCD is fine) can connect

I say this because sometimes they filter out devices based on OS (its true), or use proprietary VPN software to provide a "secure" connection. Somehow, this "VPN" software runs on old 1G iPhones that can't run apps, so....

Then, I don't know!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
How close are you to the router?
I'm not sure. I get a full set a bars on both the N810 and my laptop.

Have you connected before?
Yes; but it's been a while (before the first SSU for diablo).

What OS is your laptop?
Vista.

First, delete all the troublesome AP's in your NIT. Start Fresh!
I've done that a few times during the course of troubleshooting this issue. I'm on the verge of starting the freshest with a reflash. I really don't want to though.

Then, see if Liunx on the laptop (liveCD is fine) can connect
Are you suggesting that all five unrelated open access points that I've tried have the same DHCP rule? can a dhcp server even have a rule like that? The NIT connects fine if I bypass the DHCP client and specify the IP settings. It seems pretty obvious that there is a problem with the DHCP client on the NIT.

Then, I don't know!
Thanks anyway.

Will someone suggest a different forum to get help from? not being able to connect to open access points severely impacts the usability of the n810.