So what do you tell people when they ask "what is that?"
Simply telling them it is an n810 doesn't usually work, not many people have heard of it.
Trying to explain to people that it is actually a small computer is sort of useless, "how can a computer be that small?"
Now obviously people who are at least a bit computer savvy get a general idea of what it is, but I have left blank stares on the faces of some more computer illiterate people.

I have resorted to just calling it a palm pilot, that's a fairly old term that most people get, but how do you all explain your wonderful little bit of technology to people?

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
its my organizer for organizing stuff, watch movies, listen to music, surf web, take notes, etc.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
Its a time machine! Using it is like traveling back in time and using a 400mhz computer then traveling to the future where computers fit in the palm of your hand.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydips For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
I tell people it's a pocket computer and that seems to work most of the time.

But it does wear me down with the constant "What is it?" from people. As far as I know it may be one of very very few in my country as they are not sold here. It may even be the only one.

Having said that anyojne that does see it and handle it. Absolutely loves the N810. Some are turned off when I say it does not have phone but others don't really care.

Last edited by dbec10; 2009-04-16 at 21:28.

I just say it's a mini computer, though they don't think it is when I make it clear it doesn't run Windows. It does annoy me that in nearly everyone's opinion, a device is only a computer if it runs Windows. But once I show off the web through 3G, Canola, Doom and Numpty (ALL my friends love Numpty and have to borrow my N800 to play it), they're in love with it. And even more shocked when I tell them I paid £150 for it.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Oh yeah!!!

The price.

I had to repeat it a couple times once or twice for people who wanted to know what I paid for it. Up to now they perhaps don't believe.

It depends on the person who asks, (specifically their tech-awareness), but within that, if I don't have time or don't want to get into a conversation, I call it a mini-computer; if I want to get into a conversation about it, I call it a mini linux box.

I too have seen some people get turned off when they hear that it doesn't have a phone, but you can mention that it does connect through a cel phone. Some people aren't really tech types and those people aren't ones who can see the value of carrying around a computer in your pocket, which, if you want to mention it, opens up lots of possibilities, so you can talk about adjusting your DVR from wherever, (that's lost its edge since these cel-phone commercials where a bank is being robbed and a customer decides to program his DVR while laying on the floor, so I'll have to come up with something else, but the point is made).

The next question -- from less techy types -- is, "is that like an iPhone?" to which I respond along the lines of: "Kind of, but the iPhone is much more polished whereas this device has far more capabilities, and all the software is available to be re-programmed or adusted in any way, which opens up more than you'd think at first. So it's a trade-off between consumerish-ness and capabilities."

Joe

I say, "It's an internet tablet, but really, it's a like a mini-laptop."

Especially if I'm trying to get something done, I just say it is a computer, and leave it at that. I really couldn't care less if people know what it really is, or not. At first I wanted to show it off to everyone, but now, meh.
If the person I'm talking to is really into computers and will understand it's true potential I'll tell them. Otherwise I don't waste my breath...

Sort of like my laptop, I do pretty much everything on the command line, which confuses most people, but I have given up explaining it. Same with the dvorak keyboard layout..
So I guess I answered my own question

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
"I's a $400 wonderful computer. Do you want to buy it?"