Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Fourth, this is similar to the hinging thing I mentioned before, is it possible to make wheels that spin around a set axis?
Originally Posted by dvergin View Post
...But is it possible (as in the video of Crayon Physics Deluxe at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsTqspnvAaI) to make a "rotation point" for an item? And if so, are wheels possible? (again, I'm inspired by the Crayon Physics Deluxe video)
Originally Posted by tme View Post
... if you want to make a wheel you can't just join to thin air in the middle of a circle - you must add some spokes. also, since you don't want your axel (or wheel holder) to collide with the wheel when it is joined to the spokes it is best to draw the wheel and spoke(s) as a single stroke.
Ok, I figured it out, and wheels are really simple, although tricky to draw.

You draw a circle (starting at 9:00 or 3:00 works best for me) and then when you come back to your starting point, draw a straight line inwards to the centre of the circle. Note: The wheel has to be a single stroke. Do not lift the stylus until you reach the centre of the circle. It's ok if you overshoot the centre a bit. Once you get there, lift the stylus.

EDIT: I found that drawing from the centre of the circle can be easier. Your wheel should look like a bit like a lower-case "e". Don't go too far, though, if your "spoke" sticks out of the circle, it will jam the wheel's rotation.

You add a strut (or "forks" if you were drawing a bike) by starting at the centre of the circle and drawing outwards.

I was able to draw a delightful little bike-thing by drawing two wheels and joining them with an upside-down U shape. The bike rolled down the ramp fairly well.

I still would love a record-and-replay function. I'll have to make a bike as a new level just to make it clear; it's very hard to just describe in words.

Next, someone has to make a working ferris-wheel or water-wheel contraption that spins when you drop stuff on it.

EDIT: I also really want a way to copy and drag objects around, at least in level-editing mode. That way, once I get a working wheel-object, I don't have to keep re-inventing it each time. I can just copy the working one and move the copy.

Last edited by qole; 2008-04-12 at 06:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Man, is it HARD to draw stuff on my N800! The touchscreen has never seemed more inaccurate and the "clickety-click" of the tablet thinking I'm drawing 4 short lines instead of one long one has never been more annoying than when I'm trying to draw something like this.

Anyway, after almost an hour of draw-delete-draw-delete etc, Here's a pic of the bike rolling down a ramp:

EDIT: Oh man, I'm having tons of fun trying to get my bike to do tricks with ramps, etc. It is hilarious to see it flip over on a steep jump ramp and fall upside-down, wheels spinning slowly to a stop.

Last edited by qole; 2008-04-12 at 07:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
So... does it pwn Linerider yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I'd never heard of Linerider until you told me about it! There's another one that would be great adapted for the tablets. At the moment, it isn't great on the tablet, since it runs too slowly in Flash and we don't have Java for the mobile version.

But I would like to see some of the features of Linerider incorporated into Numpty... Zoom and drag especially.

I think it's much better than Line Rider, all we need is a video recording feature for it so people can post crazy videos on youtube....then maybe Numpty will get a Nintendo version as well!

Also, attached some new levels...same ones in there I posted before, but two new ones as well. One of the new levels has a very nicely working trampoline, if you get it right you can hit both stars in the level with one stroke.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NumptyLevels.zip (8.3 KB, 172 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to Catalyst For This Useful Post:
From xterm, become root
"sudo gainroot"

navigate to the location of your files
"cd /[location of your files]"

copy your files
"cp [file's name] /[location of the numtyphysics]"

Restart if necessary.

The Following User Says Thank You to superstar For This Useful Post:
Try this level.
It's possible (in theory) without pause mode.. but haven't succeeded myself yet. Hint: secure some elements before dropping anything.
http://80.223.220.69/~werre/pengu2.nph.gz

Ack... it really needs a shapes library, especially for circles and rectangles...

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ack... it really needs a shapes library, especially for circles and rectangles...
That's it! I was thinking we needed some simple tools that allow for drawing rectangles and circles (I too am lousy at drawing), but a library would work. The important thing would be to keep it simple...

Heck, 2 or 3 basic shapes, handles for rotation and expansion-- done.

We could call it the Qole Toolset.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: