Active Topics

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ El Ejido, Almería, España
Well... I got a used 770 the past Saturday. I installed things, added repos... I tried a guide to get Flash 9 working on OS2006. I could not get that, but everybody who got it, has a newer OS2006 version. My 770 has the becomeroot package installed and I saw the risk of screen troubles if installing it.
I am going to reflash, but, if I install the becomeroot again, could I have the problem?? Is there any risk to get a WSOD if reflashing to the newest OS2006 version?

Sorry for my english, and thank you.
Saludos, Binky

Maybe I'm not the best to answer, but I'm unaware of any risk of screen troubles from becomeroot; I only have an N800, but I use becomeroot, and it has nothing to do with the screen.

WSODs, of course, are basically a 770-only issue, so I can be no use on that.

HowDoiBecomeRoot page on Maemo wiki says:

Warning: There have been reports of display failures (white with dim vertical stripes) after disabling rd mode and rebooting a new 770. If you get this, there is a hardware failure in your device and you need to return it and get a replacement.

Although I don't know what the rd mode is, I'm pretty scared to have an unusable and shiny new 770 with 2 days of use (INTENSIVE use, btw). I have seen Nokia's support for WSODs, and being a second-hand unit, I'm even more scared =P

Anyway, thank you.

Saludos, Binky

I don't like to flood, spam or write un-needed messages or else, but:
Up.
I'd like to have a satisfactory answer (thank you, Benson; I really appreciate you want to help, but there's not much I can do with that info). Again: Is there any risk in the 770 IT to get a WSOD reflashing? If the screen trouble did not affect me once, can it appear now? Also, if the unit is not under warranty, will Nokia replace it by a price?

I appreciate all help, thank you.
Saludos, Binky.

The WSoD has to do with an power problem on the LCD chip, although I'm not sure what exactly causes this failure. Some people have got it by plugging in the AC adapter, then immediately trying to power up the unit...that's exactly what happen to me on a prior unit. I do know that in most cases if your going to get the WSoD then it tends to appear within 10-20 reboots of the device, although I've seen some people get the WSoD over a year later. I've never heard of someone getting it just from reflashing the unit.

The Following User Says Thank You to bac522 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by N-Binky View Post
My 770 has the becomeroot package installed and I saw the risk of screen troubles if installing it.
if I install the becomeroot again, could I have the problem??
No. Any software you install cannot cause WSOD (at least directly)

Is there any risk to get a WSOD if reflashing to the newest OS2006 version?
Yes. WSOD can happen when device is powered on or rebooted. For flashing you sadly need to do this. You are completely safe only if you newer reboot or powerdown your device. Sadly 770 can crash and reboot by itself so you are never safe. Search this forum for WSOD, there is plenty of material.

General rules are:
- minimize (re)boots = don'let battery go flat, don't power device down, turning it off is almost never needed
- dont remove battery when device hangs, just wait
- don't worry :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic

BTW, that one is quite mild form of WSOD. I have one similar piece myself and found that it can be almost perfectly readable, you just need to avoid some colors (like pure black, blue, ...). Looks like in my case once any of R,G,B color values is near zero (not sure about details) it produces this effect. Just tried to change palette in osso xterm and changing black into very dark grey produced perfectly readable full-screen terminal window. Would be fun to implement color translation in kernel framebuffer driver when sending data to epson chip :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Thank you, fanoush and bac522.

I try to avoid reboot, but my device uses to reboot when it wants.
Thank you for providing a ...solution for the screen trouble. And yes, I never remove the battery, although someday I'll have to take off the MMC...

PS: I actually laughed out loud watching 'Posting... AND YOU!' lol