Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
So, I finally 'bit the bullet' and decided to install this.

Here are my detailed steps, for anyone that is also using the Diablo5 theme;

1) Select the launcher-deb from the first post and select 'Open'. This will install the deb through the Application Manager,

2) After it has installed the first thing I noticed was that the Diablo5 application list icon disappered (oops...),

3) Luckily I had personal launcher installed and one of the applications in that is x-term. So, I launched x-term, issued to root and ran 'controlpanel',

4) In the 'Panels' options I could see that the Application List was indeed now unchecked so I made sure that it got checked and closed down control panel

My status bar was now back to looking just like it did prior to install the application - BUT man, the new funcionality is wonderful, I'm loving it.

This should absolutely be part of the Diablo5theme-Telescope-bundle which will be a near must-have for us Maemo4 users

Some requests for future developments:

1) Easier install
Obviously to have the launcher install without having to open up control panel to adjust the setting. For people that can't SSH into their tablet or can open xterm/control panel from something like personal launcher this may be a hard barrier to get over,

2) Auto-update of new/deleted apps
A way to ensure that the application list reflects the current list of applications (as it is now it won't take added or removed applications into consideration until you re-trigger the app),

3) Navigate left-right using the dpad
It would be great, if possible to be able to scroll left and right through the list of apps using the dpad left-right keys on the N810. I found myself intuitively trying to do so. (It might be the same for N800 users).

4) Ability to click on the circles at the bottom
I know for instance that my 'Communication' applications are in the 2nd 'bubble' of the ones listed below (see screenshot attached below) when I'm browsing the apps. Instead of me clicking maybe 5-6 times to get back to that page it would be nice if I could just click on that bubble and it would take me to that page. If so, maybe make the bubble 50% larger than what they are now
(And/or allowing me to press any of the numeric keys 1-9 to go directly to that page of applications).

Great, great work.

Below, my new nifty application list look courtesy of you
Attached Images

AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-07-26 at 00:05.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Why can't I see my wall-paper ? When I installed I didn't use a background image, but now I have one and I can't see it (her. Telescope showes it ok.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by tso View Post
hmm, seems uninstalling 1.0.4 for navigator panel results in a unchecked, but mandatory, applications menu.

and i would recommend anyone installing the navigator package to keep control panel open during the install as it will scramble the panel applets, potentially leaving the user without access to control panel and an ability to adjust the applets shown.
Yep, I'm still not sure how to make sure it keep being checked. But as far as I understand even though it's unchecked, the task navigator will make sure the application menu be displayed. And I think that's why sometime you've got 4 applets instead the max of 3, if you have 3 other applets that are checked except the applications menu.

Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
angun33, you may want to take a look on inotify for monitoring new .desktop files:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify
Or may be it could be catched via d-bus with dbus-monitor
I already used inotify to see changes to the applications.menu file. I'll add the directory where are the desktops file reside to that watch. Thanks for the advice.

Have you returned from the holiday? Should we talk about merging this into telescope? please email me when you are ready.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by angun33 View Post
Have you returned from the holiday? Should we talk about merging this into telescope? please email me when you are ready.
Would it be possible to when either launcher or Telescope runs to show a 'status-bar' ontop? Either the actual one or a custom one with clock, etc.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
So, I finally 'bit the bullet' and decided to install this.

Here are my detailed steps, for anyone that is also using the Diablo5 theme;

1) Select the launcher-deb from the first post and select 'Open'. This will install the deb through the Application Manager,

2) After it has installed the first thing I noticed was that the Diablo5 application list icon disappered (oops...),

3) Luckily I had personal launcher installed and one of the applications in that is x-term. So, I launched x-term, issued to root and ran 'controlpanel',

4) In the 'Panels' options I could see that the Application List was indeed now unchecked so I made sure that it got checked and closed down control panel

My status bar was now back to looking just like it did prior to install the application - BUT man, the new funcionality is wonderful, I'm loving it.

This should absolutely be part of the Diablo5theme-Telescope-bundle which will be a near must-have for us Maemo4 users

Some requests for future developments:

1) Easier install
Obviously to have the launcher install without having to open up control panel to adjust the setting. For people that can't SSH into their tablet or can open xterm/control panel from something like personal launcher this may be a hard barrier to get over,

2) Auto-update of new/deleted apps
A way to ensure that the application list reflects the current list of applications (as it is now it won't take added or removed applications into consideration until you re-trigger the app),

3) Navigate left-right using the dpad
It would be great, if possible to be able to scroll left and right through the list of apps using the dpad left-right keys on the N810. I found myself intuitively trying to do so. (It might be the same for N800 users).

4) Ability to click on the circles at the bottom
I know for instance that my 'Communication' applications are in the 2nd 'bubble' of the ones listed below (see screenshot attached below) when I'm browsing the apps. Instead of me clicking maybe 5-6 times to get back to that page it would be nice if I could just click on that bubble and it would take me to that page. If so, maybe make the bubble 50% larger than what they are now
(And/or allowing me to press any of the numeric keys 1-9 to go directly to that page of applications).

Great, great work.

Below, my new nifty application list look courtesy of you
Thanks Silvermountain. Yes the installation process is really ugly at the moment, as I'm not sure how make sure that they are checked on the panel settings. Tried using dbus but failed. Anyone has ideas to fix this??

As for your suggestion, I'm working on number 2 right now. Will add number 3 too since it's not that hard to implement. As for number 4, I was thinking more of an invisible slider on the bottom panel. So where ever you pressed on the bottom will be your current page. Then if you drag to the left it'll go the left of the page, and if you drag to the right it'll go the right of the page. This will offer a quick browse of all the pages, and yet finger friendly. This is just an idea though, and I'm not sure how hard/easy or even possible to implement. But what do you think of the idea?

Originally Posted by giladmttw View Post
Why can't I see my wall-paper ? When I installed I didn't use a background image, but now I have one and I can't see it (her. Telescope showes it ok.
Hi gilladmttw, can you send me your desktop.conf. The file is located at /home/user/.osso/hildon-desktop

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Would it be possible to when either launcher or Telescope runs to show a 'status-bar' ontop? Either the actual one or a custom one with clock, etc.
To be honest I have no idea how to implement that, maybe you can ask mitrandir on the official telescope forum?

It's just the standard file with the navigator panel resized to 0.
Code:
[Tasknavigator]
X-Type=panel_box
X-Position-X=0
X-Position-Y=0
X-Size-Width=480
X-Size-Height=0
X-Orientation=left
X-UI-Policy=libtasknavigatorpolicy.so
X-Is-Ordered=1
X-Config-File=tasknavigator.conf
X-Plugin-Dir=/usr/share/applications/hildon-navigator

[Home]
X-Type=home
X-Is-Ordered=0
X-Load-New-Plugins=1
X-Config-File=home.conf
X-Plugin-Dir=/usr/share/applications/hildon-home;~/.hildon-home

[Statusbar]
X-Type=panel_expandable
X-Position-X=423
X-Position-Y=0
X-Size-Width=282
X-Size-Height=50
X-Orientation=top
X-UI-Policy=libstatusbarpolicy.so
X-Is-Ordered=1
X-Load-New-Plugins=1
X-Config-File=statusbar.conf
X-Plugin-Dir=/usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar

Originally Posted by angun33 View Post
To be honest I have no idea how to implement that, maybe you can ask mitrandir on the official telescope forum?
Just launch it in a window with XCreateSimpleWindow.