Posts: 118 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ California
Originally Posted by BillyTheFish View Post
So that rules out Samsungs, as I would prefer the updates to come through relatively swiftly.
No, that pretty much covers all Android handsets except for the Nexus S. I would include the Nexus One but they've been promised Gingerbread weeks ago and they're still waiting. Your best bet would be to screw waiting around and just "Root" it.

As for the device choice with keyboard?? I immediately thought of the G2/Desire Z but I wasn't sold on the hinge of the keyboard and neither was my wife so she swiftly went for the Nexus S for her upgrade. I would stay away from anything Motorola (with a keyboard). My brother has had 5 (original) Droids and currently on his 2nd Droid 2. Not to mention the untimely updates from them as well.

Sorry I haven't been much help but as one of the posters said earlier, you're gonna be hard pressed to find everything on that "checklist". There's a million new devices coming out between now and April. You might find the right screen size/resolution of a device but no keyboard or hardly any on-board memory or storage....etc, etc. It goes on and on... The N900 is truly ONE of a kind. Do your research with this one and this one here to compare specs.

Also, as a sidenote you might want to see what Elop has to say tomorrow in regards to which direction they may be going. You might be getting another Nokia yet...
Flash Memory: ADATA 32GB SDHC CL10-RA1
Overclocked to 1GHz [Titan's Kernel]
-----------------------------------
Other Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1653766084.png

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Why don't you get the Nokia E7. It has everything you need on your list.
BillyTheFish wants to stay clear of going back to Symbian, even if it is the version 3 thingy.
One of the reasons I got the N900, since it was a new OS for me.

Originally Posted by poogash View Post
the z is diabolical i broke my upgrade 2 days in, it actually came of the pisspoor hinges so i got it fixed and sold it on ebay im gonna keep the money ready for something that actually might be an upgrade
Aside from the "slide hinge mechanism", it really is a fantastic device. BTW, how did you get your fixed?

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
BillyTheFish wants to stay clear of going back to Symbian, even if it is the version 3 thingy.
One of the reasons I got the N900, since it was a new OS for me.
I would suggest WebOS. It's the closest thing to what we have on the N900.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
I would suggest WebOS. It's the closest thing to what we have on the N900.
I'm not sure about this but the biggest problem with WebOS is the availability. Is it available in the UK, as the poster (assumably) lives there? As far as I'm aware it's US-only for now?

I also started to look away from Nokia today, thanks to Elop and Ballmer and I'm considering WebOS, once/when/if it comes to Europe.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
I also want an android phone with a keyboard, but there are only a few using the AWS spectrum that I need, which pretty much only leaves the DEXT and the backflip. Unfortunately they are motorola, and how they relate to customers and dealing with rooting a phone is horrible. As such I think I will be going with the nexus S.

Originally Posted by canabal View Post
I also want an android phone with a keyboard, but there are only a few using the AWS spectrum that I need, which pretty much only leaves the DEXT and the backflip. Unfortunately they are motorola, and how they relate to customers and dealing with rooting a phone is horrible. As such I think I will be going with the nexus S.
At least you have that. Try finding a reasonably open phone when you are tied to a CDMA network in the U.S.

The Following User Says Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
thanks for everyone's help so far. I'm quite keen on sticking with Vodafone -they currently have the Z but not the milestone 2 (and the guy in the shop thought it was doubtful that they would get the milestone 2).

Good point with not being able to root it as well. I guess my choice is either the Z (i tried it and didn't mind the hinge too much) or stick with the N900 for another 6 months or so...

...problem is I'm kind of gagging for something new at the moment.

OT: Sad day for Nokia. Last one out, please turn out the lights.

The Following User Says Thank You to BillyTheFish For This Useful Post:
-yes I'm in the UK.

Just get the Z, man. It's great!

Tags
bada blows, bada rox