They are 1997-1998, fully compatible with wine and they need a 133 pentium with 32mb ram, no 3D accel so I think that they will be perfectly playable with OC.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by damion View Post
How old are they? How fast a cpu do they need? Do they need 3D?

This technique emulates a 250MB ram pentium I @ 90-133MHz with no 3d accel and compatibility comparible with wine. I've not tested audio at all and I've hit at least one issue with the screen size on a solitaire clone.

Notepad and solitaire are very usable/fast. I've yet to find a download for something more adventurous.

I'll do a howto soon, although the details are in the two threads I've been updating.
Audio and network running and we might also have Spotify, considering it works well in wine, and the screen is resizable to less than 800x480. If the desktop client works, there is no need for Spotify Premium account

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
Audio and network running and we might also have Spotify, considering it works well in wine, and the screen is resizable to less than 800x480. If the desktop client works, there is no need for Spotify Premium account
Spotify is a fairly new app, and I seriously doubt they tested it on something as slow as the speed this runs at. It decodes audio (mp3 or similar) and that is seriously going to struggle at p90 speeds. As for actually running it. I'll give it a go as my colleagues here want to see that too.

Network works perfectly, putty.exe works almost flawlessly. I've simply not tried audio, but I'm not sure how easy it'll be with pulse running, I think my /dev/snd/* structure is there for the kernel to pick up stuff thrown at it, but I've not tried yet.

Originally Posted by Megaltariak View Post
They are 1997-1998, fully compatible with wine and they need a 133 pentium with 32mb ram, no 3D accel so I think that they will be perfectly playable with OC.
If you have them in wine on your desktop could you tar up your .wine/ which hopefully contains the working c: with the games, as well as optimised registry settings. Then private message me with a way to get them and I'll give them a go.

Originally Posted by mymybib View Post
Do you think it will possible to use dropbox for linux with qemu ?
I was going to download and try this for you, expecting a closed source linux x86 binary. However the source is available: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx So this should just be trivial to cross compile (which I could do, but I CBA as I have no use for it).

If I find my copy of Eric's Ultimate Solitaire I'll try that, I suspect it'll work well. I paid for that many years ago.

Ok I will try to find my usb key when I will be at home, or reinstall Ubuntu on a dumb usb key then reinstall the games ... if I find them.
And do you think to package qemu + wine with working settings as a deb ?

I'll do a quick write-up and then maybe do a .tar people can extract in to /home/user and follow a readme.

I /might/ if I really feel generous, create a .deb people can dpkg. But as you need to echo stuff to /proc and chroot and things, it needs sudo and other nasties, and this whole thing is still really an experiment in madness, so I don't really think it's worth doing that. It's certainly not going to be worth my time registering for maemo repositories, although I do play to put mediatomb and xroar in there at some point in the future (when my kids start school!?).

For the moment, it's probably better for experimenters to extract the tar and run a few basic commands to initiate the phone in to the state where it can run arbitrary x86 binaries including wine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
The "right way" would be to use native wine with patched x86 loader, much like the older PPC wine used to do. In fact last time I looked at it (months ago) someone was submitting patches to winelib for this. This way rendering code is not emulated (= fast).
+1
This is very similar to the way scratchbox runs ARMEL binaries in full X86 environment.
User Mode of QEMU was designed exactly for this purpose.
DarWINE does it and may serve as reference.

Spotify%20Installer.exe just managed to reboot my phone. I'm worried as to how a program running as user (I su - user within the chroot), is able to cause the phone to do that. I guess the chroot and initial shell are root, so maybe something was able to tickle something it should via that, maybe the bind mounted /tmp/.X11-root wrote something iffy to the X0 socket? perhaps /dev/* interaction can cause it to get upset.

I then tried the chroot on a real desktop and the system libs, wine version and/or surrounding /etc and /dev weren't up to the task. So I'll have to have a bit of a think about the cleanest way to work around this. Perhaps somebody used to using pbuilder or debootstrap to create feature full chroots could follow my instructions.