Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If you want the users to take more responsibility of their actions, then they should be informed of what the updates contain and any warnings/cautions about it before he initiates the upgrade process.

Even Windows and OSX do this on their system updates...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You realize this isn't community-created, right? Nokia contracts Andre to create the list and it gets posted on the wiki because that's a place where it can be improved by the community if need be.
I would have expected to see at least a blog post or a news item from Nokia mentioning the upgrade and a changelog. The changelog can be copied to the wiki and improved by the community later, but I still think there should initially be an official announcement/changelog. Witness the confusion when the upgrade came out of the blue, and there was no web page to consult to even see if it was genuine.

Last edited by pelago; 2010-02-18 at 10:08.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
I'm kind of unhappy over the release of firmware updates without official changelogs. Case in point: PR 1.1.1. I'm aware of the changelog on the wiki, but community created ones are beside the point. I want to have a detailed, human-readable list of what's in an update before I install it.

Let's talk about it, and if enough people feel the same, we can start a brainstorm.
you missed it just a little bit:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.1

simple change to url gives you something you are after, doesn't it?

e: it is fine to me that only the bigger updates are given proper changelog. it's better than nothing (the way it was before) and I am hoping PR1.2 will get similar one after it has been released.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
But if something is wrong with the changelog that Andre posts, I can't know if that's his fault or Nokia's fault (or some wiki editor's fault).
It's a mixture. :-P Sometimes bug reports internally get closed with a "It's already FIXED as I remember something, but I don't remember which exact internal release and don't have time to search for it in ChangeLogs or if a ticket for this existed to correctly mark it as a duplicate".
Hence sometimes things are a bit unclear, also because of Nokia's unclear branching policy - 3.* was PR1.1.1 as we all know now, but it took me a while to find out whether 3.* just included some "cherry-picked" patches, or if it was branched at some point from the internal "master" releases that will lead to a PR1.2 release etc.

Hope this helps a bit...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ athens/greece
they probably dont know the changes they made. same thing happened with maemo5. they didnt know it doesnt suit them. it just took them 2 months to realize.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by el3ctronick View Post
they probably dont know the changes they made.
They should know, as they knew for 2.2009.51-1. See http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.1
Nokia is not a bunch of totally unorganized hippies (though it sometimes may look like that). :-P

same thing happened with maemo5.
Please provide proof for your statement, or elaborate at least.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ athens/greece
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
They should know, as they knew for 2.2009.51-1. See http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.1
Nokia is not a bunch of totally unorganized hippies (though it sometimes may look like that). :-P

Please provide proof for your statement, or elaborate at least.
maemo5 announced that it is discontinued after 2 and a half months of life. during these 2 months they were saying that maemo will be their primary OS for all nokia devices. i think thats enough.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
maemo5 announced that it is discontinued after 2 and a half months of life. during these 2 months they were saying that maemo will be their primary OS for all nokia devices. i think thats enough.
Yeah, you should probably do some more reading or something.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
What the hell are you talking about?

These statements are worthless without exact quotes, with exact URLs. I can also state anything without proving.
Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_u...inty_and_doubt .