Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Had to leave early, and I'm sure xman will have more detailed comments. But here are my impressions:

- Chen is a really nice guy. What he and his team have been able to accomplish so far as a small shop is impressive. I am pulling for them to succeed especially because of their graciousness

- I didn't actually play around with the device too much, but the hardware feels like a consumer device and not some hobbyist proto. Compared to my Xperia X, it certainly is bigger but not obnoxiously so. Taller, but not that much wider

- Chen confirmed that screen protectors for the Elephone U Pro will work with the f(X). He did add that the team managed to fix the light leakage issues that plagued the Elephone, so no worries there

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
- Chen confirmed that screen protectors for the Elephone U Pro will work with the f(X). He did add that the team managed to fix the light leakage issues that plagued the Elephone, so no worries there
Could you tell me what do you mean about light leakage issues which was existed on Elephone U Pro?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
I have to say Chen and Adrian were extremely nice lovely people! Chen was very patiently as I asked him a seemingly endless amounts of questions, which is amazing when you understand the guy is flying all the time!!! Chen was dripping with passion for the pro1, but also the n950 and n900. He really love this stuff.

I saw so many cool devices. I got to try the gemini, n950, that that crazy one hand keyboard, blackberry passport and my very own zaraus.

They had some yummy food & drinks at a chill outside spot. I didn’t get to talk with everyone … I was too focus on the device and the questions. I even show my cardboard sizer mock-up … lol .. I know. Thatful it was bigger than the pro1.

Overall I really liked the device, it was well built, the flip take practice … since it take more focus ands strength then I would have imagined.

1. Question: What was changed/improved hardware-wise since the hands-on event in germany? Are there units with final hardware?
How to test: Ask chen definitely.
Notes: If there are retail units, take a few screenshots/photos of the app drawer.

= mainly software changes since germany
like the camera has change, but is still being worked on. But was function pretty good for my quick check.

There was a tiny movement with the german, which was fixed by new york. What's interesting is that they need to redo all the testing each time they update the hardware!

The back cover now has a new texture, which will make it less prone to slippng in your hand.

2. Question: Is the green dot on the capslock button actually an LED which lights up when capslock is enabled?
How to test: Play around with the keyboard. Ask Chen about it!

= yes. It works just like a laptop

3. Question: Is the shift key 'sticky' by default - and other modifer keys too (ctrl/alt etc)?
How to test: Play around with the keyboard.
Notes: What I mean is if you are typing along press (and release) shift, does it affect the next letter you type.
Assuming yes, does it behave the same way with numbers (shift then 1 gets !)?
And assuming yes, does the Capslock LED (if any) stay lit after you press shift until you push the next key?

= They are working on sticky shift, so it's a work in progress.

4. Question: Will the keyboard backlight be able to be controlled by software? Will there be an option to turn off the backlight when in a brightly lit area?
How to test: Play around with settings. Ask the F(x)tec team.

= Yes. they already have an area in the settings for it.
Additionally on the keyboard each key has its own led. So perhaps in the future a game could have only game play keys lite.

5. Question: Can I have auto-rotating disabled and be always in portait with keyboard closed and always landscape with keyboard opened?
How to test: Look around in settings and/or ask.

= yes there will be a switch in the settings.

6. Question: What functions to the yellow arrow keys provide? Is there something similar to alt-gr?
How to test: Just ask I guess. If someone is familiar with a language that uses special accents on characters etc, they could change the layout setting and try.

= The yellow arrow key will be the same as the alt similar to n900 blue arrow button. The Fx key is mainly for android, but could possible be used in the future as a custom key for 3rd party OSs.

7. Question: Does the escape key translate to back?
How to test: Ask about it. Be creative and think of a way to test.

= esc was made to go back (like a back button for android), but will be change changed back to just plain esc. I suggest to make it a settings and they mention that could be something they add in the future.

8. Question: How is autofocus speed?
How to test: When half-pressing camera button, observe how long it takes until focus is locked (the camera app should give feedback).
Report subjective speed or capture it on video.

= pretty fast. But everything is faster than my n900

9. Question: How is the shutter lag?
How to test: Observe the time it takes between pressing shutter button fully down after already focussed, and the actual photo being taken.
Again report subjective speed or capture it on video.

= They are still working on optiumization of the camera. But it seemed pretty fast.

10. Question: I want to see it in some jeans pocket.
Notes: Be free to substitute the jeans for other lower garnments if they aren't available.

= I put it into my pocket and it felt good my pants were slim fit. I didn't feel like it was too big. Slid into the pocket very smooth. Another person who has used it for a few weeks said it has not been a problem carrying in there jeans. The back actually made it easier than similar size phone with bumps.

11. Question: Does pro1 supports 4k output.
How to test: Probably not possible. Leviathan3k may bring 2k monitor, this is already a good test.

= Nope, But its up to the chip maker and not fx. So probably have to check the spec for chip.

12. Question: Can you compare the speaker quality with other popular phones like the Pixel 3 and iPhones?
How to test: Both video/audio recording and subjective opinion are appreciated.
We are interested in loudness comparison as well as sound quality.

= We tried it again a pixel 3/4, and it was about the same. I would the fX has a bit more on the low side. But they mention that this will be fine tuned. To bring the mid into more focus. Which I would say the pixel had brighter treble. But some where in the middle would be ideal from my noise fill outside listen test.

13. Question: How well does the sound from left and right speaker match?
How to test: I've made a test mp3 you can find here: http://matland.be/stereo.mp3 (WARNING On headphones this could be painful!)
Search YouTube for "stereo test" and look for a video that plays the same sound alternatingly left and right.
Alternatively you can be creative and find another test.

= Didn't get to test the seperation well. But both where working at the same level.

14. Question: How is the performance of the touchscreen at the edge?
How to test: Enable "Pointer location" option in Developer options, and swipe over the edge as straight as possible in different locations.
Alternatively install a drawing app. Note down if it behaves well following finger at the edge and/or take screenshots.

= This worked well. Through a dev testing tool. I was able to see the touch point go all the way to all edges ... well until the guesture took over.

15. Will the screen stay open when the phone is held upside down?
Ex: using the phone while on your back in bed [there will be no beds there man, )

= yes, silly man

I'll add more as I remember. Btw, 95% of. these answers & comments were written on the n900 .

Cheers

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-08-31 at 04:22. Reason: added an image

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I liked this most:
The back cover now has a new texture, which will make it less prone to slippng in your hand.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ravelo For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the reporting xman, really made me feel like I was there even though I wasn't.
Can you elaborate a little more on the texture? Rubber coating, special paint, dimpled metal? What does it remind you of?

Last edited by gtmaster303; 2019-08-30 at 13:12.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
If I would not be satisfied with N900 and if I would have enough money so that I could buy the phone without it to bankrupt me my main points to focus would be: Ability to use opensource linux Os with call/sms etc phone capabilities and an adjustable functions for the keyboard. Processor speed and ram I would not bother too much cause they will undoubtedly be enough (compared to N900). The same goes for the camera. I will probably wait either to get the phone from a dissappointed buyer (who probably has other focuses in mind when buying) for about 350-400Eur after a half a year or one year or then I'll just wait untill I get miracle money from somewhere. But hoping that Maemo Leste fullfills my needs (updated browser, more secure and updateable opensource software, easily usable maps, availability to use web based services) which are not too big hopes I believe. Change from an iPhone to N900 was a choice to shift focus to something else. But if there are people who have mainly used N900 for years then I understand the frustration they have had. But if one has newer phones already in use for living online life fully and to the extreme - I would not want to put pressure on Chen to fullfill those needs but to concentrate on the ones geeks really need. This opinion is a bit late

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
Could you tell me what do you mean about light leakage issues which was existed on Elephone U Pro?
To be honest, I am not too familiar with the Elephone. Chen brought up that there were issues with the Elephone screen, and that the team worked hard to rectify said issues in the F(x) implementation. (It is my understanding that the Elephone U Pro and the F(x)tec Pro share the same display, which is why the Elephone U Pro screen protectors are compatible with the F(x).)

Chen would explain it a lot better than I could.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
This is the elephones Problem, photo dug out by netman:

And here some Photos from Discord users since not all of you follow there, taken by leviathan3k:

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the explanation, Mosen.

I'm the guy wearing the backpack (third from left) in the third photo. For what it's worth...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
I figured I'll show my head here too since I keep reading the thread , and since I am here will xman and klinglerware allow me to cite their messages in a compilation of feedback aggregated from the event? (i'll add the answers from our friends over at discord and post here also)

And about the thread title... I AM ready!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit