I am basically asking if there is a way to update the bluetooth module in our N9/50 to support the HID profile!?

I know about BtInput but it is less then ideal for a Bluetooth Keyboard as everytime the keyboard goes to sleep to save power, the N9 loses connection, and when the keyboard turns back on and tries to talk to the N9 again, BtInput doesnt dynamically deal with it and we have to repeat the keyboards pairing process all over again

This is quite a basic requirement for bluetooth enabled devices, I am quite shocked that Nokia didn't implement it especially in the 'end user/keyboardless' version of the N900 sucessor!

Any guys from the Maemo5 CSSU would probably have some idea how to replace modules, maybe creating an open bluetooth UI and link it to an open bluetooth module that supports HID, then allows us to Incept it to replace the stock one similarly to how MAG for the system-ui to be unrestricted!

Is this a possibility??

Please share your thoughts

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I keep having a thought that something like BtInput should be implemented as a virtual keyboard that is only a few tens of pixels high. That way you'd have the (re-)pairing controls up when you need them and you'd obscure much less of the app (see problems with stock Terminal) when using BT.

I however, don't have a bluetooth keyboard and have minimal C++ skills, so might have to pass my idea-baton to someone else.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
I keep having a thought that something like BtInput should be implemented as a virtual keyboard that is only a few tens of pixels high. That way you'd have the (re-)pairing controls up when you need them and you'd obscure much less of the app (see problems with stock Terminal) when using BT.

I however, don't have a bluetooth keyboard and have minimal C++ skills, so might have to pass my idea-baton to someone else.
That's actually a great idea, but I feel its a workaround for the problem.

I honestly think proper support of the HID profile built into our System would be much better. With real pairing support (ie. only have to pair once)

OFC my one is also harder to achieve whereas your idea might be more feasible until we have some sort of CSSU for our N9/50

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Guys, I have no knowledge on N9/50 BT subsystem, but there was a similar issue (i.e. once into sleep never wakes up) on n900. Don't know if it will be of any use, but one may want to look into kernel-power BT patch for mouse.

on the other hand HID input profile works OK on n900, I can't think of any reason it should not work on the newer kernel n9/50 has. Given the module is built of course

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Guys, I have no knowledge on N9/50 BT subsystem, but there was a similar issue (i.e. once into sleep never wakes up) on n900. Don't know if it will be of any use, but one may want to look into kernel-power BT patch for mouse.

on the other hand HID input profile works OK on n900, I can't think of any reason it should not work on the newer kernel n9/50 has. Given the module is built of course
Hmm interesting I will give it a look over but I have a feeling we need HID support initially before that patch might come in handy.

For some reason Nokia never gave us HID Profile support on our N9/50 via bluetooth.. Sometimes you just wonder WTF they were thinking when they compiled the bluetooth module!

Any advice on how to check if the module has been built??

My Contributions

Last edited by godofwar424; 2012-06-30 at 12:30.

Any progress in 'real' pairing?

Tags
bluetooth, bluez, keyboard