800x480 Screen? Finally! At least *someone* outside 770 users understands the wisdom of higher-resolution web-enabled devices!

Anyone familiar with winCE 5.0 Pro?

Can anyone reading Korean identify the processor?

They are a bit more generous with the memory than Nokia and it takes SD cards!

I believe WinCE is MS's client OS that also serves as the basis for Windows Mobile, although i might be mistaken about that. I've seen a few Win CE devices coming up recently, with NAND flash memory. The DMB part means it won't come to the US.

This looks like it would be fun to play around with. Other than networking, it looks like it's optimized to play multimedia content on a larger external display from SD. No BT, but you can fit alot of different phone-centric flash card formats (RS-MMC, mini/microSD) into an SD slot. The keyboard design is kind of mesmerizing, maybe too much for me to use it without blowing my mind, particularly if it lights up. Also, the web browser on this particular device had better be well optimized for the 4.3" LCD display. I would hope it has USB host, though, to make it really useful.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
WinCE apps rarely support a 640x480 screen - most apps assume a 320x240 resolution and are shipped with resolution dependent resources (icons etc.) in which case the OS pixel-doubles the screen to 640x480, no gain in real estate mainly sharper text. The OS can be forced to display 320x240 apps in native 640x480 resolution at which point most icons and text becomes way too small to be useable, assuming the app works at all. I dread to think how badly WinCE will stuff up a screen resolution of 800x480!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I dread to think how badly WinCE will stuff up a screen resolution of 800x480!
It doesn't do too badly on my SimPad's 800x600 screen, even hacked Windows Mobile apps. It's not straightforward and WinCE 4.XX needs additional applets and DLLs to make it all work, but it's workable. The biggest drawback is that WinCE of and on itself doesn't "do" resizeable windows.

That, and the fact that WinCE is crap, obviously. Still, the SimPad turned out to be a nice ebookreader...