On my 770 the raised area of the black casing that surrounds the ports on the bottom of the unit has started chipping away. On closer inspection there seem to be stress fractures(?) throughout. This looks to be a seperate piece attached to the casing. I use my 770 heavily, but take great care with it as well, always keeping it in its hard case and bag. I fear my concern for my 770 has been its downfall, as it looks like the fractures are caused by sliding the unit in and maybe out of the casing, and maybe even plugging in the power and USB cables (I don't use headphones with the unit.)

I have yet to contact Nokia about this, prefering to get some feedback from the community first. It looks like this piece could easily be replaced on existing units, maybe even by the end user.

By the way, I think it's important to take every opportunity to say thank you to all that have helped make this such an exciting thing to be part of.

Thanks!
Tom

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't have those issues but there have been many who've reported this. Just curious, do you watch movies and read the web a lot holding the unit with two hands? Just a theory, but that'd put twisty stress on the case and might do it. I always use it one hand + stylus, so... maybe that's it.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
I have send my N770 back to Nokia and got a new one in 2 weeks. The new one showed a crack at the buttons when I got it, so I'm going to send it back this week. Nokia service told me it should not happen anymore because they are using a new production line, so I hope my third N770 housing will live longer

In spite of these cracks I'm still a big N770 fan, it's a great product!

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
I don't have those issues but there have been many who've reported this. Just curious, do you watch movies and read the web a lot holding the unit with two hands? Just a theory, but that'd put twisty stress on the case and might do it. I always use it one hand + stylus, so... maybe that's it.
Actually, I think it's better to hold it without a case at all. In my opinion, it's easier to hold and is much thinner to carry.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I wonder if that's it, maybe the case is adding more structural support.

I read a lot and have found the 770 to be a fairly comfortable device to use. I do tend to hold the unit with both hands but I also use the device in the hard case most of the time (if I set it down I know I will lose it ) Maybe the case is stressing the 770.

I think I will contact Nokia,and maybe they do have this sorted out already.

Tom

yes mine has a crack on the bottom too. it appears to grow a nanometer everyday but i never rememberdropping it or doing anything that wud cause a crack. i didnt notice the crack when i first got it, but then again, i never inspected it inch by inch to check

I though I had scratched mine on the bottom first, between the USB and sound plug, but noticed it is a crack. Someone refers to it as "Especially the magic crack in the bottom that lots of units have." here http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/14/n...-in-the-works/

=(

edit: oh, here's the tread on it http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ighlight=crack

mine is made in germany too

Last edited by cybe; 2006-05-15 at 09:42.

Interesting, I noticed mine developing a crack just the other day, now I see this thread.

I use it with and without the case.

Looking at the raised plastic housing the connectors, my crack starts way on the left hand side diagonally to the top of the plastic, like a forward slash. It's nowhere near any of the connectors.

Last edited by Smiley Dan; 2006-05-15 at 15:24. Reason: More detail about where the crack is

I never noticed a crack in mine, but it must have been there, since when I took it out of the silver case yesterday, a little "bit" came off with it. It's more like a "chip" and isn't really near the connectors. I'm very careful with my 770 so I am guessing it must have been a production issue.

Does it have to be sent back to Nokia or can I just return it to CompUSA where I bought it? Not that I couldn't call CompUSA to find out but I thought someone hear might already know. Besides I live in Canada and picked mine up from the states, so it would save me a LD call.

btw: my 770 was made in Estonia

Last edited by sandstorm; 2006-05-16 at 18:48.