Active Topics

FWIW, I worked in tech support and our client used (exclusively) Gateway computers. One model was particularly prone to have inverter board failures. It took many, many calls to GW to get them to realize that swapping out the screen would not resolve the issue. Users often would receive a laptop with a new display. It would fail after a couple of months and we'd send it back to GW...again. When GW finally started fixing the inverter board, the laptops wouldn't white-screen again.

...the symptoms are similar -- white screen...on the GW units, there were a few vertical blue, green, and pink lines...I would think Nokia would have looked into that by now, but...I don't know -- it took GW about 6-8 months to listen to us.

I was able to get root access without going into r&d mode. I don't know what the advantage be to put it into r&d mode. Haven't read up on r&d mode

Originally Posted by NokNok770
So are you guys flashing to R&D mode when this happened or it just get like that for no reason? I'm not putting mine in R&D mode, should regular users be worried?
The first time was way after I gained root. This most recent one never went into R&D mode and the only thing major was I flashed IT2006 onto it when I first got it.

hello all

i woke up this morning and here is the result when i turned my tablet on

i dunno why its like that, i wasnt neither root or r&d. (dunno how to do that). Is it broken ? is there a way to clear that ?

+
S199

Originally Posted by Semtex199
hello all

i woke up this morning and here is the result when i turned my tablet on

i dunno why its like that, i wasnt neither root or r&d. (dunno how to do that). Is it broken ? is there a way to clear that ?

+
S199

This is obviously a clear cut case of Nokia censoring your wall paper

At least your screen somewhat works, I get nothing but vertical lines. Think what you have but all over the entire screen

Edit: I'm going to guess that the only fix for you is to send it in for warranty replacement/repair

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Would be nice to know if this is some faulty batch made in some period and/or in some factory. If you look under battery, where is it made? maybe the Code below WLAN an BT keys is batch number or something. Or maybe there is some date on the box. Mine is made in Germany and is one of the earliest devices sold and works fine so far (flashed many times including R&D mode switch). Can you post info about faulty ones?

My most recent one is from Estonia and I think my first one was from Estonia also.

Not sure where'd I'd find the date though.

MY 770 was made in Germany but the screen bust after about a week (white screen with vertical grey lines)

Mine has a type number under the battery of SU-18, are all the type numbers the same? Would be helpful to know if there are different types out there.

mine is SU-18 made in Germany

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by daverup
I just started using a replacement 770 after the "white screen of death" and two week repair wait.
Some interesting notes,
I sent my 770 in its original box with matching mac addy serial number to Arvato in FL as directed by the website form.
My replacement was shipped from Fort Worth TX, in my originals box, I checked the numbers.
So my sending to FL was a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!

Nokia needs to get their act together, and fix.the screens!
I think Nokia still does not have a specific service plan for dealing with 770's.
Their service website and customer care unit only seem able to deal with cell phones.
U.S. Repair/replacement is handled here at our Fort Worth (Alliance) facility, so I'm not sure why anyone would be directed anywhere else. Obviously reverse logistics needs to be improved. We're working on it!

And not meaning to sound trite, but this device is completely new to us in every way. We're still figuring out how to handle it. Bear with us!