Can you open ogg files from the audio player?

OK i got several questions here because iam confused about this ogg file thing that i keep on reading about here. what is a ogg file? where can you find a ogg file? and what does a ogg vorbis player do? does it hold mp3 Files?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
From the vorbis.com FAQ

What is Ogg Vorbis?
Ogg Vorbis is a new audio compression format. It is roughly comparable to other formats used to store and play digital music, such as MP3, VQF, AAC, and other digital audio formats. It is different from these other formats because it is completely free, open, and unpatented.

What do all the names mean?
Ogg - Ogg is the name of Xiph.org's container format for audio, video, and metadata.
Vorbis - Vorbis is the name of a specific audio compression scheme that's designed to be contained in Ogg. Note that other formats are capable of being embedded in Ogg such as FLAC and Speex.
In essence, Ogg Vorbis is a direct competitor to the MP3 format. The latter is heavily patented by the Fraunhofer Institute requiring users to pay a licence fee to encode MP3 tracks, while Ogg Vorbis is patent-free and (subjectively) at least as good as MP3 in terms of audio quality. And of course, it's entirely free.

Ogg Vorbis support in commercial hardware players is growing slowly, leading to increased interest among users who want to encode their tracks in this format. Lack of Ogg Vorbis support on the 770 is annoying as the 770 is touted as an open-source device yet it lacks support for one of the few open-source audio formats! This lack of support means users will be forced to encode tracks in multiple formats - once for an Ogg Vorbis supporting player (eg. Slimdevices Squeezebox) and again in the proprietary mp3 format for the 770.

Or alternatively, users will just ignore the open source audio format and stick with the proprietary audio format because certain manufacturers pushing the open source mantra don't quite "get it".

Last edited by Milhouse; 2006-12-12 at 03:39.

Originally Posted by tjb
Can you open ogg files from the audio player?
Strangly, no. The web browser can launch the audio player with an ogg playlist and it works. The file manager shows ogg files with a music icon and can launch them in the audio player. In the audio player, if you select Track->Open the ogg files are not listed and therefore can not be selected.

Originally Posted by username49
OK i got several questions here because iam confused about this ogg file thing that i keep on reading about here. what is a ogg file? where can you find a ogg file? and what does a ogg vorbis player do? does it hold mp3 Files?
Here is a good site for information on ogg:
Vorbis.com

Here is a list of many sites that stream ogg in live broadcasts
Icecast.org
Note: Be sure to click the text "next" at the bottom right of the page. Only 10 sites are shown at a time.

Many Linux distributions did not ship with the ability to play MP3 files. It was a simple thing for the end user to add. There was some legal issues with distributions like Redhat to have it built in.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
any news on this topic?

Originally Posted by dino View Post
Strangly, no. The web browser can launch the audio player with an ogg playlist and it works. The file manager shows ogg files with a music icon and can launch them in the audio player. In the audio player, if you select Track->Open the ogg files are not listed and therefore can not be selected.
Opening ogg files in the audio player with the "mogg" package installed used to work for me on the 770 with an earlier os image (2.0, "mistral"). But after updating to os image 2.2 "gregale" I have to take the file manager route.

I tried oggplayer with both os images and it skips a lot. So I prefer the audio player + mogg solution. Sound is more important that convenience for me, though I'd like to have both of course.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
If anyone hears of news regarding an ogg dsp sink, please post here.

A few games (esp Exult and Ur-Quan Masters) use ogg media. I'd like to use dsp to speed up the performance, but i have to transcode to mp3 and host the files. Maybe we could join together and i .. argh.

Maybe if someone could just post docs and links to source for the dsp / dsp-mp3 decoder, someone could take a shot at doing an ogg decoder based on the tremor libs?

Originally Posted by fresta View Post
Opening ogg files in the audio player with the "mogg" package installed used to work for me on the 770 with an earlier os image (2.0, "mistral"). But after updating to os image 2.2 "gregale" I have to take the file manager route.
Hi, is this still the case for you? I just tried again to be sure and with mogg-0.2 I get oggs listed inside the audio player with the latest 770 OS.

Tilman

I thought 2.2 gregale was the latest 770 os. Or do you mean the hacked 2007 os?