The battery performance on the N800 has decreased significantly after the recent upgrade. Could this be related to the upgrade or is it the battery? Has anyone else noticed a change after upgrading?

Thanks,
Doug

i dont have much experience b4 the upgrade but i locked the screen and keys last night and came back to a dead battery? there was no programs running that i know of allthough i did not check top. im not really sure what did it. it is the first time it happened. kinda anoying cause i wanted to use it after work. guess ill be shutting down from now on. b4 i reflashed i was getting problems with dbus hogging 14% of my cpu constantly in top

Last edited by jay8378; 2007-07-25 at 16:38.

I have noticed that if I turn my n800 off with full battery power and then turn it back on, I lose two bars. If I do it again, the battery is dead (or real close). So I just don't turn it off anymore. If I leave it on, I have good battery performance. Not sure what is going on here. This didn't happen in the previous firmware.

works much better for me. i put it to offline mode before locking the screen and keys.

did you upgrade the firmware AND restore from backup? maybe some of the stuff from the backup is causing this. also, i had problems with canola before where it would eat up CPU cycles trying to scan my SD card, until i set it to scan ONLY a specific directory instead of the whole card.

Actually my battery lasts much longer with the new OS than with the older version. I'm very happy about it.

Anyway: install a CPU monitor or do a "top" to see if some of your installed apps do use up CPU.

I've been having trouble finding a good system monitor/task manager. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Try Osso-Statusbar-CPU

I've not noticed any battery issues good or bad in the new firmware.
I still get a lot of battery life, even more so since I edited the mce.ini file to use softpoweroff for powerbutton-longpress instead of poweroff.
I never turn my N800 completely off. When traveling I put it in offline mode and then softpoweroff. It can pretty much stay in that state for days on a full charge.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by iball View Post
I've not noticed any battery issues good or bad in the new firmware.
I still get a lot of battery life, even more so since I edited the mce.ini file to use softpoweroff for powerbutton-longpress instead of poweroff.
I never turn my N800 completely off. When traveling I put it in offline mode and then softpoweroff. It can pretty much stay in that state for days on a full charge.
But wasn't the "new" and "improved" firmware "upgrade" supposed to ameliorate battery life and power management?

Before the upgrade I was able to leave my N800 on with a connection open while not using it for quite a long time and the battery wouldn't drain for days. Now if I do this the battery is all the way down just overnight. If I put it in offline mode the battery is fine and seems to last longer than before without charging. So for me the most important thing for a long-lasting battery charge is to remember to put my N800 in offline mode when I'm not using it. Too bad there's no setting to have it automatically go in offline mode after a set period of non-use.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post: