Poll: What do you think should be the user-visible friendly name for the terminal app?
Poll Options
What do you think should be the user-visible friendly name for the terminal app?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Here it's fine.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Just curious: how would you feel about Maemo 6 not having a terminal app in the application grid out of the box but having a Ctlr-Shift-X shortcut to boot the terminal?

The purpose of the change being that pure end user don't have to wonder what to do with this, while power users and developers would have it just as handy.
I think that there is no harm for a pure end user if he or she clicks in Terminal. If he doesn't like or understands what it does, he or she just have to tap on the close button (big x).

Somewhat related, I do think that you guys could review the decision of not having menu items for things that already have shortcuts. I think all available options should be placed on a nice menu entry. That's the most user friendly way of presenting an interface for new and basic users. For more advanced users, there could be a help page listing the available shortcuts.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Just exploring possibilites: what about finding it under Settings?

You could always add a shortcut from the home if that matters to you.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England

I agree with the general direction Q is going in....
Name doesn't really matter, but how you access it and what you can do in it is probably a better question.

Generally i feel it is is a development tool (Well, geeks play-thing) - there are some uses a normal user like myself may use it for, and that is probably debugging when i screw something up....

Other then that, i agree it is probably a system tool. - and putting it in system makes sense.
Not sure there is any need to get rid of the X, as the word terminal is still visible.

If i was told to use terminal (is there any difference in adding an X? - terminal on it's own makes me think of windows and terminal services...) And told where to go... thats enough for me
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Conflating application startup and the control panel seems... messy.

You'd basically implement this by having the standard /usr/share/applications/hildon/osso-xterm.desktop but then adding <Exclude>osso-xterm.desktop</Exclude> to /etc/xdg/menus/hildon/applications.menu (or wherever's appropriate after #5743).

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England

I suppose so, though did you see the screenshot of the suggestion myself and MrGrim made,

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=40

The Following User Says Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I don't like the idea of the Terminal only being available via Ctrl+Shift+X, as that seems too hidden to me (even as a power user, I might forget how to bring it up!). Putting it in Settings seems a bit strange too, although I can see why you would like to group all of the semi-dangerous things together.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Just curious: how would you feel about Maemo 6 not having a terminal app in the application grid out of the box but having a Ctlr-Shift-X shortcut to boot the terminal?

The purpose of the change being that pure end user don't have to wonder what to do with this, while power users and developers would have it just as handy.
I wonder if this is a real problem that real people have out there ("what's this application?") or if it's just a solution to a non-problem. Windows users had this terminal at least until XP - I'm not sure about recent versions, don't use them much. Still, they had no problem with it. Why would Maemo users?

Anyway... The only way I could live with this is if I could revert to the sane behavior (=terminal visible as an application) by editing a *.desktop file, typing a magic command after I first launched the terminal or shaking the device while dancing on one leg.

The proposed key combination is just impossible on the current keyboard. Actually, all Ctrl+Shift-combinations are a PITA. If this is the only way to start the terminal, it means there's no practical way to start it at all... and then it would be better to just not include it and have it in Extras for those who want it. (Which may be the better solution in the first place if Nokia has doubts about the terminal app.)

Last edited by benny1967; 2010-02-04 at 12:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
my 5 cents:
Rename to Terminal
Agree with benny about keeping the app in view for everyone, maybe not straight in your face if M6 devices are more for umm.. "normal" end users, so hide it under tools or something similar. Also keep access to root privileges hidden.
Have a app that remembers all key combinations(with main combinations for "normal" end users locked) and allowes easy allocation of combinations for any app one chooses. Bascially the UI for adding a shortcut to desktop, but when you click a app you can bind keys to it.

maybe qgil proposing such insane feats of finger acrobatics is hinting M6 devices will have some more room for fingers?

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
While we're at it we should change all the references of 'Debian' to 'PenguinOSXP2010'.

It's called X Terminal because it's a terminal emulator for the X-Windows system. It's been that way for years, and there is no reason to change it. If the naming confuses you, you might consider an iPhone instead. I hear that they are easy.

Tags
get a life, who cares :p, xterm, xterm you fools!