Notices

Hi folks
there is a lot of speculation about Meego while the migration path for the N900 is clear: Meego will come. While I do like debian packaging, I can also live with rpm (and have done so before). Crucial is not the underlying flavour of Linux but for every day use its the applications that come with it.
I understand that Meego comes with a bunch of "core applications" which I do not know anything about.
However, I would assume that the current set of applications will simply be ported to (Nokia)MeeGo, with QT no big deal. What will/may be different is the desktop layout ad stuff around it.

or am I wrong? Lots of people seem to be worried about the OS which seems rather irrelevant to me (as long as it is Linux and accessible) but nobody is talking about the applications...

cheers

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
With the advent of QT4.7 across MeeGo, Maemo and Symbian, and also a whole bunch of other groups getting involved (judging by what's coming out of #Meegoconf) we should start seeing loads more applications developed for MeeGo.

but what about open source ports on meego? will gtk be supported? while i have no doubt qt will bring loads of cool consumerish apps, i have grown accustomed to using some nifty tools / utilities from open source (linux) ports and i can't imagine my n900 or future meego device without them.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poland
Originally Posted by tredlie View Post
Hi folks
there is a lot of speculation about Meego while the migration path for the N900 is clear: Meego will come.

<SNIP> .... </SNIP>

cheers
From what I know, officially Meego will not come.
Only the currently available developer version (future community version) will be working.

Sooner or later the developers will start developing on the next NOKIA Meego device and in my opinion all Meego support for N900 will end.

Actually the N900 will support vanilla Meego. But it won't have any of the stuff you see in Harmattan-Meego. It's up to the community to backport stuff from that version of Meego to the N900's vanilla Meego.

And as long as the developers use QT 4.7 their stuff would be backwards compatible with MAEMO anyway. I'm assuming QT will continually to be upgraded in vanilla Meego.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

right, we shall have to thrive on backports, but I am not worried about that.
But is there someone out there who has an idea of how good the core applications really are? How is integration of mail, address book, phone, sms, skype on the standard meego distro?
Are we expecting those to replace the current N900 applications?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
its called Qt (cute) not QT, QT is some crap from Apple