Active Topics

I am looking for a n900, not necessarily in working condition.
I can get access to a machine that can scan the parts to get a digital model of it. So I will be able to design a body in metal for the N900.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
You may want to see this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83928
Maybe it would be more productive to join forces? My project for it is quite advanced. Coincidentally, access to 3D scanner is the thing I'm currently lacking, and it was slowing down progress quite a much (needed to re-design everything manually).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
it interesting to see more people getting involved in creating metal bodiy for N900. Can you people show us a preview of what you are people are making ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
150§ in indian rs?? If that antneea thing gona increase range count me in

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yeah, mettal housing will shield all forms of radiation so external antenae are pretty much a must.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yeah, mettal housing will shield all forms of radiation so external antenae are pretty much a must.
you mean to they would used just to claim the lost raditaion back

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes.

10 chars

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
You may want to see this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83928
Maybe it would be more productive to join forces? My project for it is quite advanced. Coincidentally, access to 3D scanner is the thing I'm currently lacking, and it was slowing down progress quite a much (needed to re-design everything manually).

/Estel
I have been following your project from the beginning and am aware that you were measuring the device up. One of the first thing I was going to do is share the scanned images with you

But my first design is different than yours. I am trying to make one with keyboard below screen, thinner device with place for 2 batteries side by side.

I'll probably also make one normal, just like N900, but with lesser volume and maybe full USB.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
No not necessarily. I'll have a cutout with plastic at the place of antennae, just like iPad.

Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
it interesting to see more people getting involved in creating metal bodiy for N900. Can you people show us a preview of what you are people are making ?
I don't have a preview yet. I'll start next week. This week I still have exams
But I do need a device first to be scanned in! I use my own as a daily driver.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
I have been following your project from the beginning and am aware that you were measuring the device up. One of the first thing I was going to do is share the scanned images with you
Thanks a lot Yea, I, of course, remember you from there - was unsure if you may have forget about it (as I'm so slow to deliver )

But my first design is different than yours. I am trying to make one with keyboard below screen, thinner device with place for 2 batteries side by side.

I'll probably also make one normal, just like N900, but with lesser volume and maybe full USB.
Ah, that kind of beast. Well, the more choices, the better

No not necessarily. I'll have a cutout with plastic at the place of antennae, just like iPad.
In case of GSM radio, it causes - sadly - quite a lot of directionality (for other types, like WiFi, too, but not as much, due to lower operating range as a whole, and higher frequency). This is, probably, reason why N950 sucks so much @ signal strength compared to N900 - even despite clever helical antennas design (similar to helicals found in early mobile phones). I'm sure they aimed at getting circular polarized waves - ideal for devices, which should work no matter of position/angle toward base stations - but, due to limited space and reflectors (metal parts behind and between), it seems to produce either vertically or horizontally polarized one. This result in super signal when aiming device at "correct" angle, and 80% worse, when changing it just a 40 degrees (both numbers made up, to give and idea of what I'm talking about).

Consider, that iPad is designed to work with WiFi, not GSM/3G - especially the former will get affected.

Heck, I had quite a experience with designing antennas, but after starting body replacement project, I feel like I've studied for master thesis in antennas theory. (Damn, even during checking something for this every post, I found myself spending ~4 hours of constant reading, because I noticed interesting information in one article that may affect work on project, then followed link after link...)

And even now, I know just a tiny fraction of how those things (should) work - I'm absolutely amazed by talent of antenna's design pioneers, especially those, who did it in pre-personal computer era... What they achieved using just trial and error and manual calculations is AMAZING - you could literally spend a lifetime, just tweaking one design for one purpose (and sometimes, they invented quite a few).

Summing it up, maintaining non-worse signal for metal body replacement - of any shape - is a, sorry for word, "b|tch" of a task (mostly responsible for my delays in delivering hardware awesomeness to thirsty "masses" ). Don't underestimate it - personally, I'm, sometimes, cursing myself for not promising wooden replacement (which, depending on type of wood used, may be much more elegant than metallic one, without practical differences in heat dissipation), instead of metal one. I plan to keep working on it for some time in hope for getting decent reference implementation for metal-body N900 - but, if it keep failing, I'll do a survey around per-orderers, if they would accept wooden variant, instead.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Wow Estel, you really seem to be very knowledgeable about this subject. Thank you for all the information. I think I'll consult with you when I get to the design-antenna part

Do you thing it would work if I put the antennae on the outside of the structural metal body? That the antennae only on one side have the metal?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:

Tags
2nd live n900, metal body, nokia n900, parts