Poll: What will be your next smartphone OS?
Poll Options
What will be your next smartphone OS?

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
.... you seriously believe Elop is working for the good of Nokia ?

He is not dumb, he is fully aware of what he is doing
in fact, i believed it until this morning...

merge of the A-holes;
WP7 = failed software
Nokia = failed business plan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newbe For This Useful Post:
Can't vote because you didn't put QNX up there. I have an N810 at home that now collects dust...and I am using an N8 for my day to day use...mostly I have it for the camera...love the camera...hate a few other things about it. In the end the N810 will be replaced by the RIM Playbook and my N8 will just run joikuspot for the playbook is all.

If they ever get QNX into a real phone that would be technically interesting to me as well.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by jmangs View Post
The difference with Google and Apple is that they want to take all your money but understand that they can't screw you over repeatedly without losing your business.
Microsoft's entire corporate history is based on screwing over everyone they've ever been in contact with. I fully expect to see Nokia testifying in a lawsuit some years from now about all the dirty tricks Microsoft pulled on them.

As far as Apple, they haven't changed since the early 1980's. Their need to keep a closed platform doomed them in the home PC market after they seemed to be the leader, and will probably doom them in the smartphone market too.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
I hope I can lay my hands on the ATRIX 4G....

Originally Posted by jmangs View Post
They're not simply adding an OS, they're putting Meego on the backburner before it's even out and killing off Symbian (a good thing). At least they're brave enough to admit they will not be supporting Meego upfront instead of hyping it like they did with Maemo and the N900 hahaha......

Trust me when I say that I have no confidence in Nokia. I got burned on the N97 and although the N900 was good I got stabbed in the back again; the bottom line is that Nokia only cares about screwing you over and taking your money.

The difference with Google and Apple is that they want to take all your money but understand that they can't screw you over repeatedly without losing your business. Maybe that's why Nokia went with Microsoft?
i'm sorry to say boss, but i think you're 200% wrong on this. First of all, business is business and no matter where you go, they dont care about you. So if you think google and adroid, and samsung and etc care about you, im gona tell you right off the bat that you're wrong. second of all, n97 was a mistake, but people recognized as such a big mistake because nokia is the best and everyone bashes the guy on top, not the the small insignificant ones. If you dont recall, android had a sh*tload of issues with almost every edition of thier os, and they STILLL can't get 2.3 to stabalize on any models of thier phone, yet the nokia n900 run 2.3 better than the galaxy s did.
third of all, no one said anything about throwing meego in the backburner. You obviously didn't read the article stating that there are two division to nokia now, one for meego and symbian, and one for microsoft. They havent even created a plan for a phone for microsoft yet, but meego is already more than half way to completion. Most probably meego will be out before a phone with microsoft is even though microsoft is publically being sold.

and finally, its not over till the fat lady sings. Nothing's even happened yet, so look at the glass half full and not half empty.
- peace

Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
OK, I know alot of you were, like me, waiting for the Meego N9.
After the bad news today, what will you buy as your next phone?
I feel at a bit of a loss now, as I was looking forward to Meego but feel that there isn't really any point now..
First: I buy another n900
Second: I buy the one MeeGo Handset thats coming out.

This will last me like 4-5 years from now

I bought an n810 towards the end of its life cycle at the beginning of 2009. Then the GPS support was dropped by navicore and flash became outdated then little things... I remember right up until the release of n900 people were saying the n810 would get an update. There was even vids of it running maemo5.

Needless to say despite how awesome an n900 is and how many os' have been ported to it I'm glad I went with an android device.

Got myself a Dell Streak for Christmas and have been impressed by the one man army that is DJ_Steve at XDA. That is the thing about android- there is always someone making cooked roms for your device- even the G1 still has updates, where as Nokia's product support is barely over a year.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
If you guys want a cheap option you guys really should try out the Hd2. It's a great hackable phone and will remind you of the n900. They've already have ubuntu, Android, wp7, and soon will try to hack meego on there when 1.2 is released. It really is a great device to have even if you want to use your n900 as your daily driver phone, allows you to try out practically every OS.
I still use my n900 everyday and as everyone else I was looking forward for the n9, but for now unless it looks extremely impressive, I think I'll settle for WebOS or another hackable Android phone, maybe the LG optimus x2.

for those of you who think intel and nokia are gona throw meego out to dry, here's wat intel announced today:
"While we are disappointed with Nokia’s decision, Intel is not blinking on MeeGo. We remain committed and welcome Nokia’s continued contribution to MeeGo open source.

Our strategy has always been to provide choice when it comes to operating systems, a strategy that includes Windows, Android, and MeeGo. This is not changing.

MeeGo is not just a phone OS, it supports multiple devices. And we’re seeing momentum across multiple segments – automotive systems, netbooks, tablets, set-top boxes and our Intel silicon will be in a phone that ships this year.
"

This show's how nokia is now looking to expand to more than the mobile market, with the addition of microsoft, it will certainly be easier.