Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by vinc17 View Post
Not completely transparent if the user wants to store data with symbolic links or when the execution bit is important (this will be possible under /opt, but not under /home/user). Or when the 1-GB partition becomes full. I think I'll repartition the device, like I did on my N810.
User is the operative term here, not a developer or a power user. /home/user is on the ext3, too, so execute bits wont be an issue there.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
User is the operative term here, not a developer or a power user.
It should be average user, then.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
/home/user is on the ext3, too, so execute bits wont be an issue there.
OK, so the remaining space is mounted on /home/user/$MYDOCS (I wonder what $MYDOC is), not /home/user. Then this means that the other files in /home/user are on the rootfs partition, which is limited to 256MB. This isn't much, in particular if packages don't use /opt for everything. BTW, is it really ext3, or jffs2 (hence compressed) like on the N810?

It should be average user, then.
I assumed that would be a reasonable conclusion to draw from the context of the conversation.

OK, so the remaining space is mounted on /home/user/$MYDOCS (I wonder what $MYDOC is), not /home/user. Then this means that the other files in /home/user are on the rootfs partition, which is limited to 256MB. This isn't much, in particular if packages don't use /opt for everything. BTW, is it really ext3, or jffs2 (hence compressed) like on the N810?
The ext3 partition is the 1GB partition on the 32GB eMMC. The rootfs is UBIFS.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
To be precise the big fat32 partition is mounted on /home/user/MyDocs which is same as $MYDOCSDIR

/home/user is on 1GB ext3 partition as well as /opt which is in reality a symlink to /home/opt.

edit:
it's $MYDOCSDIR not $MYDOCS

Last edited by mikkov; 2009-09-17 at 00:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
To be precise the big fat32 partition is mounted on /home/user/MyDocs which is same as $MYDOCS.
OK, this now makes more sense!

Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
/home/user is on 1GB ext3 partition as well as /opt which is in reality a symlink to /home/opt.
Interesting. So, I'll repartition the 32GB memory to have the 768MB swap and for the remaining, a single ext3 partition mounted on /home.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
The tool mkfs, Is it available to change the partition in FAT32 to Ext2?

Originally Posted by korbé View Post
The tool mkfs, Is it available to change the partition in FAT32 to Ext2?
What else would you change it with?

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
The format of Fat32 partition to Ext2.

Originally Posted by korbé View Post
The format of Fat32 partition to Ext2.
I guess the advantage of this would be getting over the 2Gb file limit at the cost of losing windows compatibility? Or are there other reasons to favour ext? Just curious

Originally Posted by slate8 View Post
I guess the advantage of this would be getting over the 2Gb file limit at the cost of losing windows compatibility? Or are there other reasons to favour ext? Just curious
Well, FAT32 generally being a godawful filesystem. The only reason you need it is for Windows compatibility, so if you don't need that you might as well ditch it.

By the way, ext3 is going to be a better choice than ext2.