Active Topics

The software update wizard is giving me an error 'can't detect a device'.

I am using Windows XP SP1. The 770 shows the USb icon. File explorer shows device as a hard drive. I tried removing the MMC but it said no memory found.

Is there a way to upgrade without the wizard.. where do you place the bin file?

it turns out I need to boot the device while pressing the home button. It's not in the instructions and I wonder why Nokia left this crucial piece of info out.

May I respectfully suggest that as a newcomer to this forum you should take some time (as on any other) to read (or search) the existing material before issuing a barrage of questions ?

I just saw three in a row posted by you (this one, plus those on pdf readers and scroll mice), for which discussions and information already exist here. So do not be surprised or miffed if no one takes the time to duplicate these answers for you : as a friend of mine is fond of saying, "forums are not a write-only media"...

What do you mean? I do read the forums. I knew about eVince from here and I specifically mentioned in my other post that I read another thread about xpdf and I wanted to know where to to download a version that works on the 770.

No threads about mice with wheels.

I took the time to reply to myself in this thread so that others can solve the "can't detect device". Talk about being curteous. It took me several calls to Nokia to get someone to suggest something useful.

It's ok if I don't get replies. I usually take it that others don't know also.

Originally Posted by abdu
What do you mean? I do read the forums. I knew about eVince from here and I specifically mentioned in my other post that I read another thread about xpdf and I wanted to know where to to download a version that works on the 770.
If you have actually sampled the various threads about PDF readers on this board, it should have made clear for you that there (presently) is no good way to comfortably peruse a 35 MB file on the 770, thus the first line of your post makes it irrelevant.
No threads about mice with wheels.
But several detailed threads about hackers attempting to use BT or USB mice with their units, and coming to the clear conclusion that this is currently not possible, wheel or no wheel.
I took the time to reply to myself in this thread so that others can solve the "can't detect device". Talk about being curteous. It took me several calls to Nokia to get someone to suggest something useful.
We're all very grateful that you went to all that trouble, but that snippet of information has been available all over the place for months. I myself flashed my device last december without having to call Nokia. I even remember a couple of posts here and there from people mentioning that sometimes it worked for them *without* pressing Home, and wondering why...
It's ok if I don't get replies. I usually take it that others don't know also.
That's certainly a very reassuring attitude. This reply is just a reminder that this is not always the case.