Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by filip View Post
I am not really used to web based tool, but from what I've tested, I'm really faster with a file and cvs and co. (If the file format is good).
Well again, you'll be able to just login to SVN and do it yourself that way using whatever tools you want. Transifex isn't going to stop you from doing that, so us using and implementing it isn't going to change anything for you since it's just mainly a frontend for the various code repositories (SVN, CVS, etc...) that gives us tools to better manage it.

We really agree on this point

I'm sure that the two options will remains.

And I'm also convinced that it is really a good advantage to have a web tool to attract more people to translate.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Actually if the plans go ahead, Harmattan translators will be encouraged to translate or at least test the translations in an IDE where they can see the strings in their emulated graphical context.

String sizes are much more critical in a mobile UI than in a desktop UI.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Actually if the plans go ahead, Harmattan translators will be encouraged to translate or at least test the translations in an IDE where they can see the strings in their emulated graphical context.

String sizes are much more critical in a mobile UI than in a desktop UI.
Excellent. I've dealt with too many translators that think it's okay to make strings as long as they want. Having an emulated GUI to look at as they work is going to do wonders for Maemo. Great job, guys.

That's really something great.
Not only about UI size consideration, but also about context.
When you localise something (from text or simple tool) you don't always know where the translated string will appear in the UI, and what are the related strings.
This is really disturbing in .po file for example.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Excellent. I've dealt with too many translators that think it's okay to make strings as long as they want.
Not speaking about developpers who don't know that the English language can explain the same meaning in few and smaller words than other language

The Following User Says Thank You to filip For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by filip View Post
That's really something great.
Not only about UI size consideration, but also about context.
When you localise something (from text or simple tool) you don't always know where the translated string will appear in the UI, and what are the related strings.
This is really disturbing in .po file for example.

Not speaking about developpers who don't know that the English language can explain the same meaning in few and smaller words than other language
Believe me, I know. After 15 mobile games translated into 18 different languages, I know.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Greece
Yup! I'll be attending the Maemo Summit, and will be having a talk/BoF on Localization. I believe it'd be a great chance to talk all things L10n and kick-off a roadmap. I'm super-psyched and looking forward to ship Harmattan in 3x more languages.

What we're looking for, actually, are 4 or 5 compatible ways to submit translations:

- Ordinary VCS commit
- Upload a PO file through the web interface
- Edit the file online through the web-based editor
- Edit the translations through the IDE
- Submit a file through a command-line interface

Peer review can take place through the online editor. This can improve the content quality a lot.

Last edited by glezos; 2009-09-20 at 22:25.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to glezos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by glezos View Post
- Upload a PO file through the web interface
Just one question, why use .po files ?
There are very good alternatives.

(did I say before that I hate translating .po files ?)

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Greece
Oh, it's quite trivial to support more formats (such as XLIFF). Tx has a pluggable i18n backend system to support a number of files. As long as we can calculate translation completion statistics from them!

The Following User Says Thank You to glezos For This Useful Post:
great news !

Tags
community, localization, maemo, translation, translations