Active Topics

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
I can't speak for the n880, but doesn't the door on the 770 have to be closed in order to mount the memory card? That kinda screws any sort of adapter.
yes with Nokia kernel, no with custom kernel with one line fix, waiting for closing the door is software 'feature'. Just comment line 694
Code:
                if (cards_present)
in drivers/mmc/omap.c to make it check for cards also with doors open.

I have Transcend 4gb mmcplus card and it works in n770 without any hardware mod with doors opened and kernel with this one line fix.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-08-03 at 15:59.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I have Transcend 4gb mmcplus card and it works in n770 without any hardware mod with doors opened and kernel with this one line fix.
It's dremel time then?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
In fact I have such kernel almost ready. Not sure about stability but week ago I tried to backport mmc stack from N800 kernel (including SDHC, high speed SD and >4GB MMC cards) to latest n770 2.6.16 and after all changes it still works with kingston 2gb mmc just fine. But what is more interesting for me is that this code from n800 kernel makes my transcend 4GB mmcplus card not working in n770 just like it doesn't work in n800 now (but works fine in n770 with 2.6.16 kernel). So now I'm in the process of merging changes again one by one and checking where it breaks. I thought N800 has some HW problem with this card but now it looks like it can be hopefully fixed in software. But if anyone wants to test this kernel with (high speed) SD or SDHC card in n770, let me know.

I was thinking about this SD mod for some time too, 4gb or bigger card in n770 would be nice and I don't remove the card anyway. I was reluctant to kill my only N770 with this mod and was also waiting for 4GB mmcmobile cards (which would make this mod pointless) but now I've got spare N770 one from expansys so I can start modding too :-)
Okay, I'm desperately trying to understand this...

Does this mean that if I were to use your SDHC-patched kernel in my N800 (still on working firmware, so not the latest one!), I couldn't use my non-HC 4GB cards anymore?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
It's dremel time then?
Well mmcplus one is thinner so there is no need but I was thinking about cutting the 4gb card to half to make it fit ;-) But I guess I'd end with two 2GB pieces so there is no point since I already have 2GB mmcmobile card :-) But maybe leaving a bit longer piece and removing the door could give me 3GB?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Okay, I'm desperately trying to understand this...

Does this mean that if I were to use your SDHC-patched kernel in my N800 (still on working firmware, so not the latest one!), I couldn't use my non-HC 4GB cards anymore?
No, we are talking about n770 kernel here. I have 4gb mmcplus card that works in n770 (with doors open) but doesn't work in N800 (mentioned also here http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=49 ). But when mmc code is backported from n800 kernel to n770 one the card stops working in n770 too! Initially I bought this card for n800 but since it wasn't working there I moved it to my Zodiac and tried it also in n770. When I find what makes this card unstable in n800 I can use it in n800 again.

In fact, with that door mod I think the 770 would accept regular SD cards without further soldering.
The MMC socket is actually too thin for an SD card. I think I might try replacing it with a SD card socket at some point.

But hey! You too can have a 4GB (with a non-HC card) 770!
hmm, so the 4GB SD cards are MMC compatible? didn't know that. Might have to check this out...

The OMAP1710 in the 770 actually has two MMC ports so it should be possible to mount something like a microSD internally and then have a full size SD socket (with the card sticking out). Only problem is that I'm not sure if the second port is exposed anywhere on the 770 (and if I remember correctly the OMAP1710 is BGA so it may be impossible to get to the pins).

one of you mentioned that it may be possible for the slot to recognise

2 cards with the proper wiring .

If so and if I could get the proper wiring for it

It wouldnt be hard to make a rear mounted sd slot .

Any one with this knowledge willing to share ?

A small extrusion made on the outside of the case in back where the NOKIA

name is located seems like a perfect place to mold a sd housing.

Seems like the master slave to allow 2 cards are in pin 1 ,2 or 7

Any one wanna chime in ?

[IMG][/IMG]

Originally Posted by memturbo View Post
Seems like the master slave to allow 2 cards are in pin 1 ,2 or 7

Any one wanna chime in ?
MMC doesn't have chip select so any mod would only be compatible with SD cards. We'd also need to find an appropriate chip select line. Can this just be a GPIO line? I dunno. We also would need to get an SD card driver in to the kernel (sounds like this has been done).

A nicer option would be to use the second MMC/SD card port on the CPU, but finding this might be problematic. Is support already present in the OMAP1710 kernel for the second MMC port?

on the pinouts.ru site it showed the mmc with the same connections

and chip select the same as sd