Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
I thought the problem was with the email application of n900 itself, i did not know you were using a personal mailserver.
No offense meant

What is odd, I tried importing the certificate and still email does not work... (and neither does https, BTW)

I imported cert with;
Code:
echo | openssl s_client -connect mail.liukuma.net:993 2>&1 | sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' > cert.pem
and then I imported it from N900 certificate manager, and was sure to have all the options checked.
It still does not work

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Text on the N900 is very easy to read in bright light
Lucky you. I find text on the N900 extremely difficult to read. In any light.

Two reasons.

Reason one, the pixel density is way too high. That on its own might not be a problem per se but I guess it is too tempting to take advantage of that and make the text too small. Honestly, I could barely read my SMS without a magnifying glass until I found a trick how to enlarge the font.

Reason two, light text on a dark background. What genius came up with that idea? Having come to the N900 from the Palm OS world, I was astonished how backwards the usability has gone.

Don't get me wrong, I love my N900 to bits, but I am not blind to its shortcomings. The sad thing is that all of them have been carried over to the Jolla, even adding some more

Then I imported the contacts from my SIM card and realized that new contacts were not automatically synced with my SIM card and there doesn't seem to be a method to do that at all. Googled a bit and I have read some posts from 2010 that it wasn't implemented by Nokia. Is that still the case?
Sadly, the inability to edit the SIM address book is another N900's shortcoming. As is the inability to sort your contacts to groups. Both carried over to Jolla as well

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
My experience is that the N900 is second to the 808 in sound quality when wired to a HIFI chain.
I don't mean to say that the 808 is inferior to the N900. It's just that with my setup the 808 sends music via BT to cheap device, cheap device processes the signal and transmit it via FM, the double processing will inevitably degrade the sound quality. I think if I used the N900 with that cheap device the results will be similar to the 808, and will definitely not sound as good as direct FM from the N900. The sad thing is that my 808 was bought in HK and so the FM transmitter was disabled.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sadly, the inability to edit the SIM address book is another N900's shortcoming.
Does anybody still use phone numbers stored on sim card? It's so ridiculously limited - 12(?) characters for the name, and that is all you can store, just the name, no email, no address, no nothing. Last time I used it was probably when I transferred contacts from my Motorola L2000 onto my (then) spanking new Nokia E70. Ever since I've been using Nokia's transfer program (or whatever it was called) to bluetooth sync contacts to new devices (E71, N900, 808, etc), or export using vcard to non-Nokia devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
No offense meant

What is odd, I tried importing the certificate and still email does not work... (and neither does https, BTW)

I imported cert with;
Code:
echo | openssl s_client -connect mail.liukuma.net:993 2>&1 | sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' > cert.pem
and then I imported it from N900 certificate manager, and was sure to have all the options checked.
It still does not work
Probably obvious, but is the current time set on the n900?
  • Translink Brisbane script (time to bus/train)
  • Commbank client (check balance)
  • Uber (basic client, request ride, etc)

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Lucky you. I find text on the N900 extremely difficult to read. In any light.

Two reasons.

Reason one, the pixel density is way too high. That on its own might not be a problem per se but I guess it is too tempting to take advantage of that and make the text too small. Honestly, I could barely read my SMS without a magnifying glass until I found a trick how to enlarge the font.

Reason two, light text on a dark background. What genius came up with that idea? Having come to the N900 from the Palm OS world, I was astonished how backwards the usability has gone.
I find it easy to read. First thing I do is change to light text/dark background or I find it annoying to read
  • Translink Brisbane script (time to bus/train)
  • Commbank client (check balance)
  • Uber (basic client, request ride, etc)

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
I don't mean to say that the 808 is inferior to the N900. It's just that with my setup the 808 sends music via BT to cheap device, cheap device processes the signal and transmit it via FM, the double processing will inevitably degrade the sound quality. I think if I used the N900 with that cheap device the results will be similar to the 808, and will definitely not sound as good as direct FM from the N900. The sad thing is that my 808 was bought in HK and so the FM transmitter was disabled.
Cant you flash a firmware from another region to make it work. In the N900 the transmitter was there but not enabled.
I Don't know what happens if you flash another firmware, it might brick it. But it might work too, I once flashed my 5800 to another regio/unbranded version with tools as Phoenix, nemesis or JAF.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Bought my N900 3 months ago. Using as a main phone, this phone is awesome. As a SSH client, music player,ADB flasher ( over Easy Debian),torrent downloader,barcode reader and etc he's working pretty good.
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WalkerPM For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by azkay View Post
Probably obvious, but is the current time set on the n900?
Yes, time&date are correctly set.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
Don't need an N900 week as I use mine daily. I have three N900s. One is spare has a peeling screen and I just keep it as back up. The second one also has a peeling screen name missing keys. Was using it as testing device but now its my one year old toddler phone. I use m player in terminal to play "Teletubbies" and I don't have to worry about him touching the screen and changing programs. I'm also comfortable knowing that if it drops not likely to be much damaged.

The third one is my regular device. It's my little pocket computer especially when I'm too lazy to get off my couch and work on my desktop. What I love is how I keep finding new things to do on the phone just by scouring the forums. Presently I use this phone:
Music player at work (connected to bluetooth speaker) in the operating theatre
Music player at home when listening in headphones either Beats by Dr or Seinheiisser. I have tested a multitude of phones but none of them can match the audio quality of the N900
Emergency remote when my toddler runs away with the TV/A receiver remote
Browser when lying in bed. So comfortable and adequate size
Qandora- a great Pandora music player with skips and no ads
Cute Tube -for YouTube videos... sometimes I'll watch YouTube in the browser just for the hell of it and remember when this used to be amazing! Youtube video in a browser on a phone!

Tweetian- for twitter. Nothing like a hardware keyboard for typing tweets fast!
Midnight commander :for when I want to arrange files on my desktop computer
SSH: I'm always ssh-ing to all my other devices including my N9 (nothing beats a hardware keyboard for typing fast
GEEPS: old but still a good Google maps client
KM PLAYER : for watching TV streams and onlinenstreams, I'm always surprised at the media it can play
XBMC remote: still works even for KODI..
Blue Maemo: always a life saver especially at work when I have an academic presentation

Then people ask me "why are u still carrying round this old phone..." I just laugh.

Never loved a phone so much before.

P.s: ironically I don't use it for phone calls or sms. Lol
p.s.s: am I the only who goes about reading old threads back in 2010 when this phone was fresh and everyone was amazed and asking questions?

Last edited by tcbl50; 2016-07-22 at 19:38. Reason: typos!!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tcbl50 For This Useful Post: