Active Topics

Notices

Could it be possible to create BBM on the Nokia N900?

considering:

On symbian devices, you can get Blackberry Connect with all the email stuff but without BBM... You have to enable BB service on your sim card...

Since you have to enable blackberry service doesn't this entitle you to a BB Pin? edit: the pin is attributed to the phone
So theoretically shouldn't we be able to create a BBM application to chat with others people that have Blackberrys if you enable BB service?

(the same concept applies to symbian devices)

What do you think?

On a side note,
I really think that Nokia should do an alliance with Blackberry just for BBM.. This will surely help Nokia perform better in general since their sales are beginning to decrease (especially vs. the iphone for example)

Last edited by bachagabriel; 2010-01-05 at 13:49.

. anyone?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by bachagabriel View Post
. anyone?
I think you will find your question may have already been answered before - just did a search for "Blackberry" and found this page.

In short, i think the answer is no.
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
maybe something like ping for iphone, but i guess thats like ovi chat right ?

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Portland, Or
Being that the PIN is attributed to the phone, and considering they are all unique, and they only use DBACEF1-9 I'm pretty sure they want to keep them to their selves before they run out, they only have 2,562,890,625 PIN's available to them, with them already shipping ~40,000,000 devices per year they only have enough PINs for 64 years!

Would love to see this.. hopefully someone does someting better than the OVI junk

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Hmm, what if I have a BB and PIN, but I would like to use the messenger on my n900 Would that be possible? And are Blackberry Services required for BBM to run? As I rather have unlimited internet and connect via different APs than the BB ones..

Originally Posted by bachagabriel View Post
1. Blackberry Connect has been available for a while now on E series devices.
You get everything that a BB has except BB messenger.

2. The BB PIN is related to the phone not the service you activate. I doubt blackberry will allow other devices to have their own pins.

Final thought: IMO, BB messenger will stay on BlackBerries and will never appear on other devices.

I, however, would love to have BB messenger on my N900. ALL MY FRIENDS and FAMILY have a blackberry
check this other thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45062

Originally Posted by groeit View Post
Hmm, what if I have a BB and PIN, but I would like to use the messenger on my n900 Would that be possible? And are Blackberry Services required for BBM to run? As I rather have unlimited internet and connect via different APs than the BB ones..
And Groeit, I don't think you can

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
I got BBM on my n900 sort of
I installed Impatica viaDock on my desktop so i can control my bb from my pc. i installed vnc on my desktop. so i can take control of my desktop with my n900. thats the closest i got to get bbm on my n900 lol..
it would be a lot nicer if there was vnc server for blackberries .
or even better if there was an app that makes u directly connect to the blackberry and also get incoming notifications.

so if a BB Pin is exclusive to each BB phone ... what if I BUY a BB ? then the Pin is basically Mine... which means I can use that Pin for an app ..

Tags
application, bbm, blackberry, blackberry messenger, communication, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, request