Originally Posted by SLDeviant View Post
With a different mini-usb cable, the stock APC cable that came with the universal battery, it will charge. Mysteries abound as the APC cable will also datasync, but I'm not going to question the great techno-loa that have blessed me with a working pair of external batteries.

I got it as well and as far as I can tell it works. I'll try all my USB / mini cables to see if there's one that doesn't. Hopefully they all work

Originally Posted by jabawok View Post
I have been wondering for 2 days since I received my N900 why charging seems hit and miss from non-PC based USB ports, for example car cigarette lighter USB adapters and USB Battery packs. Here's the answer and solution.<snip>

Hope this info helps someone out!
You totally rock man, this post is spot on, huge thanks for takin the time n trouble.

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Thanks for the link. Have you tried it?
I ended up buying that one, yes, and it works.

Originally Posted by SLDeviant View Post
Bought it , doesn't work.... very annoyed but caveat emptor.

When its in sync mode, it will both sync and charge, when its in charge mode it doesn't do anything. I've tried every order and combination of plugging and unplugging and its still useless.

Second edit:

With a different mini-usb cable, the stock APC cable that came with the universal battery, it will charge. Mysteries abound as the APC cable will also datasync, but I'm not going to question the great techno-loa that have blessed me with a working pair of external batteries.
I don't completely trust it to always work with all chargers, but so far it has seemed to be working the few times I've used it.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by tso View Post
browsing brando, this showed up:
http://mobile.brando.com/brando-work...c0704d003.html

it appears that they have removed the data pins (observer the close up of the usb a side).
I bought this cable for $8 at Brando's and it charges the N900.
Thanks for this thread and all the ideas.

Last edited by Mike Fr; 2010-06-28 at 19:13. Reason: Spelling error corrected

Does anybody own a New Trent IMP880? Since the ZaggSparq is still sold out, I'm considering buying it. E-mailing New Trent they said it has a USB port but they can't guarantee it works with the N900 since they don't test Nokia devices (only iPhones and Blackberries).

Hoping to get it before Otakon since I'll probably spend alot of time watching videos or surfing on 3G while my sister runs about..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Mike Fr View Post
I bought this cable for $8 at Brando's and it charges the N900.
Thanks for this thread and all the ideas.
Brando also has a Mini USB to Micro USB adapter with on/off switch, which costs $6. It works the same way as their switchable Micro USB cable, letting you choose between dumb charger mode and PC connection mode. It may be useful to those who have lots of Mini USB cables and chargers.

Last edited by eladts; 2010-07-13 at 00:11.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Does anybody own a New Trent IMP880? Since the ZaggSparq is still sold out, I'm considering buying it. E-mailing New Trent they said it has a USB port but they can't guarantee it works with the N900 since they don't test Nokia devices (only iPhones and Blackberries).

Hoping to get it before Otakon since I'll probably spend alot of time watching videos or surfing on 3G while my sister runs about..
Update to this post. It works but you can't use the USB cable that came with the N900. You have to use the charging tip they provide (or a charging USB cable with the data pins shorted).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

fwiw, a micro usb cable plus wall adapter from a palm treo pro works great

Actually, I think it charges the battery faster than the included ac adapter if that is possible

Updated Opening post with some more potentially useful info. hopefully google will index it.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Brando has a similar adapter, smaller and cheaper. The description says it has an on/off switch but the images clearly show that it has a toggle switch for sync/charge. I am guessing this has the same functionality as the usbfever one.
I've got one of these, along with a USB to mini-USB cable.

Works great for anything with a usb port (except Sky+ boxes).

Tags
charging, nokia n900