Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Also, don't mix human rights with profits. A daily $1 salary is a $1 salary no matter what your rights are.
human rights and profits are connected...
we have laws against 1$ salaries, minimum wage laws, laws against certain working conditions, unions etc.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by volt View Post
As to the other questions raised here:
- Human rights violations: as far as I know, the brand products are made in the same environment, sometimes even the same factories.
and that illustrates my main concern.
many companies (nokia included) already put profit above the well-being of their workers and manufacture in china. everyone who wants to compete globally is basically forced to move their manufacturing sites and exploit workers.

and it's only going to get worse.

the only chance i see of stopping this trend is when sometime in the future, "cheap" labourers in developing countries stand up and demand similar rights to the ones in developed countries. though that might take some time, and it might well be too late (as in: the developed countries already lowered their standards) by then.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
human rights and profits are connected...
we have laws against 1$ salaries, minimum wage laws, laws against certain working conditions, unions etc.
Having a minimum wage law is worthless if the economy cannot back it up. You just push people into grey/black economy then. I know this all too well

the only chance i see of stopping this trend is when sometime in the future, "cheap" labourers in developing countries stand up and demand similar rights to the ones in developed countries. though that might take some time, and it might well be too late (as in: the developed countries already lowered their standards) by then.
How do you explain that the highest minimum wage is ~15x higher than the lower minimum wage *within* the European Union ? Surely folks in Portugal, Spain and in most new EU member states are not THAT bad with regard to their rights ?

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
As far as I'm concerned, the only honorable and moral thing to do is to refuse to fuel China's economy - it is a grinding communist slave state. Despicable.

I do not buy anything from China if I can possibly avoid it. Every now & then something Chinese slips past me and I curse myself for it later.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia
I remember when everything had 'Made in Japan' written on it say 30 years ago. And then too the goods were considered cheap and nasty....even the first Toyotas! Look at Japan now. They managed to copy the West very effectively and in the end became the economic powerhouse that is Japan today. Leaders in technology. I expect we will see this again with China but at a vastly accelerated pace. In the long run everybody benefits.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
There's a couple of good bits from the other thread that sparked this discussion:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32158&page=4#39

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
it doesn't have to be that abrupt.

What happens is that the economic level of such village/towns around where these factories are build increase overtime because of the money pumped into their communities and overtime the wages will naturally increase.

It may not happen overnight, but that's what happens.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
I do not buy anything from China if I can possibly avoid it. Every now & then something Chinese slips past me and I curse myself for it later.
Unfortunately, it's very hard to avoid Made in China, especially for electronics and computers. I don't think there is a major mobo manufacturer left outside China (including taiwan) any more.

Actually it's happening rather rapidly in China right now, and that is a bigger internal problem than the low wages. How can I say that? Because only parts of the Chinese people benefit from the increases in pay, expected life style, and concequently the inflation. The poor rural areas lose.

Calling this communism isn't very accurate. But that is a discussion for another forum.

Tags
china, clone, copy, kirf, knockoff, maemo, nokla