Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Another reason why MeeGo is dead:
http://www.gsmarena.com/lumia_900_fo...-news-4075.php

- and why Nokia isn't..
And simply this is because people are stupid and get feed by the marketing department. And doesnt even bother to check if N9 IS better. They prefer to listen to Trolls like Elop than use theyr own brain when buy devices.

I am sure if Nokia had used that much of marketing for N9 what theyr doing on Lumia now it had sold more than WP devices.

So as always toplists prove people are stupid(and my english sucks bigtime!). Thats why I never buy music or watching movieswhen theyr on thos damn "top ten lists" Why the **** care anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
This was very promising until i read this

Nokia warns of losses in first and second quarters
>Shares in Nokia plunged 17% after the mobile phone giant suprised investors by saying it expected to make losses in the first half of 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17678806

And then i read this.

Bug hits new Nokia Lumia 900 smartphone
A software bug in the latest Nokia smartphone is causing some handsets in the US to occasionally lose their data connection, the company has said.
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17675319

I want to see nokia do well, but this is getting a bit strange, Really? Really?... ether the board at nokia are trying to sink their own ship.
A sofware glitch isn't all that much to write home about, and it's being handled very well by Nokia.

Relax, WP and Nokia is here to stay. It may not look like it right now, but they will be there.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
A sofware glitch isn't all that much to write home about, and it's being handled very well by Nokia.

Relax, WP and Nokia is here to stay. It may not look like it right now, but they will be there.
true true , but remember, the bbc have a large span of control over it's readers/viewers, imagine what the bbc does when you dont pay your tv licence.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

I dont "relax" if WP is the only used by Nokia. I want more QT devices! Cause I am a developer and I am not intrested in silverlight, C# or AndroidSDK or similar crap API:s. I want Ruby, Python, QML, C++

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I dont "relax" if WP is the only used by Nokia. I want more QT devices! Cause I am a developer and I am not intrested in silverlight, C# or AndroidSDK or similar crap API:s. I want Ruby, Python, QML, C++
is Qt better than silverlight because Qt is simpler?

For Nokia anyway, here's why this guy says it's dead:

http://mobile.slashdot.org/comments....p;cid=39434531

I used to live ~1km from campus where MeeGo team was located. People who worked on it, and who I personally knew were given fairly generous severance packages so they would stay and finish N9 after the news of nokia killing MeeGo were announced to the workers.

Key members of the team, ones that got offers from competitors the moment Nokia announced that MeeGo is being killed left pretty much immediately after announcement. They still have the skeleton crew managing mandatory software updates, but essentially entire team that designed software part of N9 is now employed elsewhere. IIRC some were re-trained to develop for WP but most left since Nokia basically killed all of its linux OS level know how and with android coming up as well as Intel wanting some of the MeeGo people, they had other good job offers.

I could be wrong on exact numbers, my contact in the company left after they released N9 as per her severance package and is now employed elsewhere.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
> People who worked on it, and who I personally knew were given fairly generous severance packages so they would stay and finish N9 after the news of nokia killing MeeGo were announced to the workers.
Key members of the team, ones that got offers from competitors the moment Nokia announced that MeeGo is being killed left pretty much immediately after announcement.

Do you treat that as:
1) Maemo/meego developers were intelligent enough to abandon ship ("burning platform") and have some other way to support themselves/families
2) Traitors to the opensource community? (working for Nokia on closed source components all the time makes this unlikely)

Really unsure what impression you are trying to achieve by this quote

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
For Nokia anyway, here's why this guy says it's dead:

http://mobile.slashdot.org/comments....p;cid=39434531
This doesn't make so much sense. Why did they release the N9 at all? Why did they NOT release it in UK, US, Germany, France etc when they after all was releasing it ? Why release it in China?

The only reason I can think of is that Nokia management has detached themselves both from the real world and from common sense.

This doesn't make so much sense. Why did they release the N9 at all? Why did they NOT release it in UK, US, Germany, France etc when they after all was releasing it ? Why release it in China?

The only reason I can think of is that Nokia management has detached themselves both from the real world and from common sense.
so that Windows Phone would have less competition

There is a list of reasons why it was released, I'll try to keep it short...

Nokia already had their roadmap set for Maemo devices and the N9 was supposed to be step 5of5. Shortly after the release of the N900, Nokia teamed up with Intel where they merged the Maemo and Moblin efforts to form Meego.

Once Elop pulled the plug on Meego R&D, Nokia still had to fulfill their contractual agreement with Intel to release a Meego device.

With Elop announcing their backing of WP, MS and Nokia wanted to concentrate their efforts for the new WP devices in the "Major" markets. To ensure this the release of the N9 was somewhat muted from many of the western countries.

Now you are not alone with believing that the nokia management are detached from reality, many of us here have been wondering why they have been so quiet too? Granted it's not natural for members of the board to be so vocal but after loosing so much in shares over the last year, you would expect hear something.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-04-12 at 00:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down