Closed Thread
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Can you do a very thick aluminium full house replacement that would weight around 1kg, so I could use my N900 to violently knock knock people in their heads? It's a feature I have been wishing for so long, and one of the main reasons I bought it.

--

Joking aside, I am waiting to see how it will look. Not sure if I would buy one, it will depend on my financial condition and how Nokia "don'tCare" support.

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
For a full body design how about:

1) Getting rid of the slider and make the screen and keyboard in the same plane. Than the device will be wider, and you can also fit two normal batteries side by side 90 degrees turned. In this case the device can be both thinner and have bigger battery capacity. Maybe the screen can be even a few degrees tilted, in a fixed position. The device will not be so flat and fit better in pants with curvature of leg.

2) Or else on the same plane as the current battery is in, have two batteries side by side. Then device will have same thicness as current device but bigger battary capacity. But the body will be a little wider by 3 or 4 mm.

Edit: I would definately be interested in whatever you cook up
Plan is to not touch screen housing + slider at all (it's already made of metal), which both make design much less complicated and less material is needed. While I appreciate ideas and I'm grateful for them, transforming N900 into not-slided thing is a no-go for me.
---

On latest news side - I've measured possibilities of having socket for two 18650 LiIons instead of flat batteries, and it would require only few mm more thickness than mugen cover, giving 6000 mAh of real capacity, in return. Probably not an option for bigger backcover only, but something to consider for full body replacement.

Do You imagine runtime on 6000 mAh?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
For a full body design how about:

1) Getting rid of the slider and make the screen and keyboard in the same plane. Than the device will be wider, and you can also fit two normal batteries side by side 90 degrees turned. In this case the device can be both thinner and have bigger battery capacity..........
Edit: I would definitely be interested in whatever you cook up
something like this:

although some wont like it but i love this design... clean/solid/to the point

& arrow keypad makes it kinda gaming device..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Hi Estel,

nice one
i would like to have a slim-version replacemant with a real kickstand^^

im not really a hardware guy so may im speaking nonsense
but i thought it would be great to have somekind of Dockingstation for the N900

i would put 4 Emmerich NiMH Akku F 13000 mAh, ZLF 1.2 V and something like this PocketHUB Mini USB 2.0 Hub for power supply in it^^
it sould be enough power to load the internal battery
and u could use it to smash some people with it
because it would be more than 1 KG xD

greetings from germany
Hoga
Attached Images

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
something like this:

With a full black body replacement, this can probably be done on the N900, if you're badass enough to solder on ribbon cables. Imagine FOUR of those 18650s and enough horizontal space for anything you want to mod.

I know it's not in the scope of this project, but when I get back to my desktop machine, I'll come up with a Photoshop concept.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Im all for the Dual 18650 Idea, then you can make (depending on $ you want to spend) battery up to 6000+mAh, get the cheap (but good ones) and you still rack up 4400mAh witch will give you a very long runtime.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
<troll mode> Car battery mod FTW!!</troll mode>

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Plan is to not touch screen housing + slider at all (it's already made of metal), which both make design much less complicated and less material is needed. While I appreciate ideas and I'm grateful for them, transforming N900 into not-slided thing is a no-go for me.
Would you consider making it if I (or someone else) delivers the design (CAD) and is willing to cover the cost?

On latest news side - I've measured possibilities of having socket for two 18650 LiIons instead of flat batteries, and it would require only few mm more thickness than mugen cover, giving 6000 mAh of real capacity, in return. Probably not an option for bigger backcover only, but something to consider for full body replacement.

/Estel
IMO the N900 is already very thick as it is, just need bigger battery capacity without adding thickness. Would this:

"2) Or else on the same plane as the current battery is in, have two batteries side by side. Then device will have same thicness as current device but bigger battary capacity. But the body will be a little wider by 3 or 4 mm."

be possible?

EDIT: What is this 18650 battery you are talking about?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Last edited by The Wizard of Huz; 2012-05-17 at 16:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
something like this:

Yes yes, something like that. The device would only be 78mm wide and could be 5 mm thinner. With DOUBLE the battery capacity.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land

Should last at least the whole day more like a week+...

Best thing about 18650 is they are standard size, easy to find, available with integrated protection circuit, good external chargers exist, etc. The best batteries (new Sanyo or Panasonic cell) are around $15 USD at the most. RC and flashlight hobby communities have already done lots of tests and research so good info about these batteries is easy to find.

What is this 18650 battery you are talking about?
18650 is a cylindrical lithium-ion cell (what is inside most laptop and R/C battery packs, electric cars, high-powered flashlights, etc.). Imagine same shape as an AA battery but about 30% longer and wider.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel