Notices

Hello everyone.

I'm happy to announce that my first-ever game is ready to see the light of the day. I saw this game called "2-player reactor" on a friends Android HTC and I loved it. It's a simple yet seriously addictive and a great game for at the pub, when people feel like taking a challenge against you. So I decided to write a game using the same principle. Some of the games are the same as in the original, some are entirely new, some are inspired from other games. So here you have it!

Reaction face-off
Reaction face-off is a fast-paced game where two players put their reflexes, knowledge and brainpower to the test. Round after round you compete in different minigames against your opponent. Every minigame makes a statement, and if it becomes true, you have to hit your button to gain a point. If you're wrong, your opponent gets a point.
At the moment there's 13 minigames, some about maths, some about reaction, combining different things, counting, and common knowledge.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

Hope you get the idea

I'll add more games, especially knowledge/trivia related ones. Tips and suggestions for existing and new games welcome.

It is now in extras-testing

Please vote for the package here!

Notes
  • When you run it the first time, look at the builtin help screen for some info on how stuff works
  • If you're wondering about the size: Most of it is the flags of 233 countries. They're high-res because I wrote the game in such a way that it can run at higher resolutions as well, not only 800x480, although it's not completely optimized for different resolutions just yet.
  • If you're wondering about CPU usage, yeah it's not brilliant. It's the first time I wrote something using pygame and it's not exactly perfect. I'll optimize some of the things when the game is in a more final state.

Have fun!
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Last edited by shapeshifter; 2010-07-17 at 14:23. Reason: game title changed

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to shapeshifter For This Useful Post:
Looks awesome.. I'll probably pick it up in the next few days and give it a game I wonder if I can win against nobody.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Adelaide, Australia
I can't find it. What am I doing wrong?

Yes, I DO have extras-devel enabled.

Looks really cool! cant wait to try it out

Can I make a suggestion, show each players score rotated so that player can see it, as right now everyone's score is sideways. Great and fun game BTW.

Installed maemoreactor. Trying to run from the icon and it does nothing. Running maemoreactor from xterm produces not found message.

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post

Hello everyone.

I'm happy to announce that my first-ever game is ready to see the light of the day. I saw this game called "2-player reactor" on a friends Android HTC and I loved it. ...

Hi!

I've made the original 2 Player Reactor for Android. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I take this as a compliment. Feel free to borrow some ideas from my implementation! I might use some of yours in return

The only request I'd have is that you don't back-port it to the Android platform (It is mine! *cue manic laughter* ).

Good luck,
Robin

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to RobinB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Awesome work Shapeshifter!

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
yeah, they lose and break your phone.. then what? fists next??

cheers... XD

Originally Posted by tmarinos View Post
I can't find it. What am I doing wrong.
Did you "update" first? The package database needs to be reloaded for it to be visible in you app manager.

Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
Trying to run from the icon and it does nothing. Running maemoreactor from xterm produces not found message.
This sounds like you have the very first build (0.0.1-1) where the main way of starting it was broken. The current build is 0.0.1-3, and it should work. Are you certain you have the latest version?

Is it working for everyone else?

Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
I've made the original 2 Player Reactor for Android.
Cool, the game idea is simple, yet strikingly fun.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I take this as a compliment. Feel free to borrow some ideas from my implementation! I might use some of yours in return
I didn't look at your code, as I'm guessing it's android-specific. It seemed to use android widgets. My implementation is pure python/pygame and runs on any linux that has those two installed. Oh and yeah, my code isn't brilliant
But of course you're invited to grab the games I made that aren't included in yours. I think the game with the growing crystal, letters in order of the alphabet, and my version of the calculation game, which is more dynamic than the one with the short terms in yours. On the other hand, I haven't remade all of those that you had thought of, yet.

The only request I'd have is that you don't back-port it to the Android platform (It is mine! *cue manic laughter* ).
Well I don't own an Android device anyway so I don't care. I'm also doing it for fun and not for earning money, so for now I'm not interested in the Android platform. Though I guess I can't stop anyone from porting it to Android if they feel like doing it

The project is open source and hosted on gitorious.org.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Last edited by shapeshifter; 2010-07-14 at 08:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to shapeshifter For This Useful Post: