Active Topics

Welcome
I am Nokia N9 user, with MeeGo as OS (so default).
Most applications from openrepos.net (which are deb packages) I installed by dpkg or aegis-dpkg (when was problems with expired certificates), but this time I want install NavIT which is only available by rpm package...
I was trying using rpm command but I see: "sh: rpm: not found", so I will try to find it by "apt-cache" but "rpm" neither "navit" are not visible in the list ("apt-cache search navit" and "apt-cache search rpm" show nothing)...
So how can I install rpm package on my MeeGo system?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mostechmarine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
RPM is completely different packaging system. And there is no chance to "install" a RPM (SUSE, SailfishOS) package to a DEB (debian) based system.
Most probably you have searched the openrepos.net web site for Sailfish OS which uses RPM.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
RPM is completely different packaging system. And there is no chance to "install" a RPM (SUSE, SailfishOS) package to a DEB (debian) based system.
Most probably you have searched the openrepos.net web site for Sailfish OS which uses RPM.
Is it much of a challenge to recompile such software packages so that they are deb files?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
I'm starting to get a bit confused because from the wiki website https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeeGo we can read: "Package Manager = RPM Package Manager" and later "The MeeGo Core integrates elements of two other Linux distributions: Maemo (a distribution which Nokia derived from Debian) and Moblin (which Intel derived from Fedora)." so it indicates it is mixed deb+rpm system but little more rpm (package manager) but you say this is more Debian system and most package are in fact with .deb extension...
So in this moment I start have big mess in my head :/

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Is it much of a challenge to recompile such software packages so that they are deb files?
???

You know that Maemo uses different base SW stack than Sailfish. hildon and GTK vs. lipstick and qml, different glbc versions and so on...
So recompiling alone (if you had the sources) would not nork.

This package NavIt is only available for Sailfish on OpenRepos.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
If you have the sources it is dead easy to compile whatever packages rpm or deb from them. Or just do "make install" without creating the package at all...

----- edit -----

This all of course is only relevant if you are compiling a console application.
If you want to port a GUI application from another platform then it gets trickier; just like @peterleinchen points out you can only recompile something that uses the same SW stack on the frontend or else there's going to be a lot to change.

Last edited by juiceme; 2020-07-17 at 10:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
@peterleinchen @juiceme Thanks for the schooling! I forgot those issues in software for these devices! Why can't all code be written in Fortran! Then, if needed use a universal translator like in Star Trek!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@peterleinchen @juiceme Thanks for the schooling! I forgot those issues in software for these devices! Why can't all code be written in Fortran! Then, if needed use a universal translator like in Star Trek!
Sure, but what would you use for UI stack, there are still all the range available even when you use fortran...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
this is not about installing ZIP instead of RAR. this is about installing IOS app on Android and vise versa. Understood?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
I'm starting to get a bit confused because almost everything suggests me MeeGo is Debian type of system (not only on this forum also because most package are from .deb end) but on the other hand on the Wikipedia "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeeGo" we can read "The MeeGo Core integrates elements of two other Linux distributions: Maemo (a distribution which Nokia derived from Debian) and Moblin (which Intel derived from Fedora)." and little later "MeeGo uses RPM software repositories."...
In that point it start to be little too complicated to me :/

The Following User Says Thank You to mostechmarine For This Useful Post: