Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Well, since T-Mobile USA's "4G" isn't actually LTE, but rather 3.5G with some stuff they did to get better throughput or somesuch, I always understood it to be the case that the N900 does what T-Mobile calls/markets-as 4G, since it does 3.5G. So the above throttling may still be relevant.
Traceur - you may be correct. I will find out soon. I've been using this new plan for 8 hours and I have consumed 100 of my 500 megs. I will update again when I exceed 500.

But there was no risk to giving it a try so I figured why not. Previously I was using wifi-only with an unlimited 4G hotspot. But I didn't have nation-wide coverage.

T-Mobiles announcement is in 2 hours.

actually, I had a T-Mobile sonic 4G (non-LTE) hotspot and the speeds on that exceeded anything i've seen on the n900 itself.... so i'm not sure the n900 can get the max speeds t-mobile is capable of even on 3.5+.... but i'm no expert

Last edited by Flynx; 2013-03-26 at 15:16.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I currently use the T-mobile plan you have to purchase online from them. For $30/month I get 100 min talk, unlimited text, and 5GB data. For $15 extra you can also tether - free if you use a hack found on XDA ; )
I have the $30/month plan as well. The 5Gb is the limit for "4G" access. Beyond that they drop you to 2.5G (aka EDGE).

And yes, their "4G" is HSPA+, which is really 3.5G, but is something the N900 handles nicely. Most times I can't tell if I'm on wifi or 4G without looking at the indicator.

They've offered the $50/month plan for a while with one difference: The old plan cut your data at 500Mb, vs dropping it to a slower tier.

I really wish they would offer these plans as monthly plans though, as right now they only offer the low cost plans a pre-pay. T-Mobile US tends to treat pre-pay plans as second class, and offer next to no service when it comes to plan use, call history, etc. Happily the N900 records all that in the local database.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I have the $30/month plan as well. The 5Gb is the limit for "4G" access. Beyond that they drop you to 2.5G (aka EDGE).

And yes, their "4G" is HSPA+, which is really 3.5G, but is something the N900 handles nicely. Most times I can't tell if I'm on wifi or 4G without looking at the indicator.

They've offered the $50/month plan for a while with one difference: The old plan cut your data at 500Mb, vs dropping it to a slower tier.

I really wish they would offer these plans as monthly plans though, as right now they only offer the low cost plans a pre-pay. T-Mobile US tends to treat pre-pay plans as second class, and offer next to no service when it comes to plan use, call history, etc. Happily the N900 records all that in the local database.
Hi. What kind of speeds do you get in Rochester NY? (BTW,I'm originally from Canandaigua). I'm now in DC area and get up to about 20Mbps on my Note 2 with "4G". T-Mobile is supposed to turn on it's LTE here- maybe as soon as today but I haven't seen it yet.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Wow! As soon as I finished my reply I noticed 4G LTE on my phone! I went outside to test it (I can't in my office because my windows, which were recently replaced to conserve energy, do not allow a very good signal to get through). I ran speed test and got 23Mbps down load and 21Mbps upload. While the 23Mbps is a nice improvement I was surprised that the upload speed was so high. About a factor of 5 to 10 over usual performance.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Hi. What kind of speeds do you get in Rochester NY? (BTW,I'm originally from Canandaigua). I'm now in DC area and get up to about 20Mbps on my Note 2 with "4G". T-Mobile is supposed to turn on it's LTE here- maybe as soon as today but I haven't seen it yet.
I get 20.4 mbps 4G which is actually LTE on my iphone 5 when I'm in DC...

In Vegas I see 20 mpbs normally

Also I pay $55 a month for unlimited everything on t-mobile and it's truly unlimited...

4G Data Unlimited
Talk Time Unlimited
Text Unlimited
Tethering Unlimited

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Last edited by Arie; 2013-03-26 at 18:46.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
20Mbps? Ah, on a Note 2. The chips in the N900 are older than the Note 2, and hit their theoretical max at 15Mbps as I recall, being the first of the 4G sets. (The later sets can go up to 22 and 40Mbps, in theory anyway.)

As for throughput I'm getting at least 6.5Mbps down, and a hair under 2Mbps up here, so says speakeasy.net. I say at least, because I get the same result for 3.5G as I do for wifi. My laptop shows the wifi to be 8.5/3.5 (and LAN to be much better). So I think the numbers I'm getting may have more to do with the speed at which flash can run on my N900 than actual network speed.

Still... It's plenty fast enough for me.

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
10$ for 100 mb 3.5G and 19$ for 500 mb :P

We don't pay anything for tethering here. We pay for the service, we dictate how we use the service we have rights to use.

That's the way it should be.

I feel bad for you Yanks, but you do deserve it. It's actually your fault. You're kind of lucky you don't pay more. If the public made an outcry, compared the situation to other (developed) nations... the govt would have to react to keep everyone happy.

It could mean fines in the size of $1,000B for the Telecommunications industry in USA, closures of their services, and confiscation of the entire business. Corruption, misinformation, and a "distortion field" has secured such things don't take place and that consumers are always duped every subscription, every month, and at each use.

I'm flattered

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Wellingborough, UK
I pay the equivalent of $29.52/month and I get;

- Genuinely Unlimited Data (see here),
- Unlimited texts,
- 300 minutes,
- 30 day rolling contract,
- Eligibility for upgrades.

I live in the UK though, you can use the App 'Mobile Hotspot' to make your phone an access point, no need for tethering.

Do they still sell N900s over there?

Thanks,
Ryan.

Last edited by RDK; 2013-03-28 at 03:44.